Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
devondarling

Re: Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Post by devondarling »

I phoned the school and asked if the results would be sent by email or post and was told by email but I didn't ask what time we could expect them. Anyone know?
pilchard

Post by pilchard »

Hi All. Popped back on here after last being here 2 years ago - doesn't time fly! DD took the test this year and we're waiting for the Monday e:mail too. I don't know what time it will come, but the school are efficient, so I would guess sometime in the morning.

Interesting feedback from happymum - DD came out & said the real test was easier than the practice! Her class mates seemed to find the opposite though and some of them didn't finish either of the MC papers.

Having read the Plymouth schools' experience of results day, I hope that we get some clarity & don't actually end up with waiting until 1st March for a "real" result.

Best of luck to all other forumites DCs!
devondarling

Post by devondarling »

I think we will get clarity as the head has always said there would be the ABC system and the Colyton website explains this is how the results will be delivered as well. I suppose if we are in the B group then we won't know until the 1st March but at least they are telling us how many children are in each group so we can make informed decisions and I can't think of a better way of doing it to be honest.

My DS came out and said that he finished the papers but others in his room did not finish the Maths.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

I sent an Email to the PA to the Headteacher on Thursday, asking when the result would be sent to parents.

Her reply ended with the following words,
'but if it all comes together really quickly, we will get the results out as soon as we can - even over the weekend if we can.'

Just opened my Inbox and found the result - sent 9 hours ago, so it must have been sent midnight. The school has indeed done its best (EXCEEDING Expectation). The results are as follows :-

Category A: 95

Category B: 50

Category C: 217

So, there will be at least 25 from Category B will be accepted.

Good luck, everyone.

Best wishes
Average Dad
Last edited by Averagedad on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Forgot to mention that ' at least 25 from Category B' was based on the fact that there were always a few from Category A did not take up the offer for various reasons in the past.

As such, there is a slightly more than 50% chance for the Category B to get in.

Good luck, everyone.

Best wishes
Average Dad
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear All,

I would like to thank all reading/posting parents.
How wonderful you have been for your children,
Encourage them to take this 11+ great challenge.

Because Life has many upsets in waiting,
For everyone including our own little darling.
But our child is smart & calm enough for this testing;

Because Life is not about getting success this or next time,
But more about trying one's best all the times, every time,
Ensuring our child to have the Ultimate Success over time.

So, if your child is in Category C,
Please remind your child to take things easy,
As their future is still as bright as everyone can see.

Because everyone falls sometimes in their Life,
What matters most is how soon one gets up alright,
And how much one learns from their last fight.

Good luck to you all.
I am sure your child continues to stand tall,
For having the courage to face the toughest test of all!

Best Wishes
Average Dad
Every Parent, Every Child should be Very Proud
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Life is always full of hope - the same applies to 11+.

Those in Category B, other than having a slightly better than 50% chance of getting in, can always make an appeal.
If I remember it correctly, the school has been admitting one extra student (after appeal) more than its PAN for the last 3 years.

Those in Category C can always try again the following year and after by taking the 12+, 13+ with the school.
My elder boy (now in Yr 9) told me that a boy left his class after finishing the 2nd term of Year 2011-2012 (i.e. while in Yr Eight), and another boy in another class left this term (i.e. while in Yr 9) - both left CGS due to family's relocation and both places were filled by new students.

Good Luck, everyone.

(Tonight on BBC Four, a repeated programme, 'The Grammar School : A Secret History', is on between 19-20 hrs)

Best wishes
Average Dad
As Long as there's a Will, there's a Way
(Forgot to mention, my younger underaged boy was lucky - he's in Category A)
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Enjoying Holiday Parents,

As the 2012 is coming to an end, perhaps it's the perfect time to look back and plan ahead.

Whether your child is to attend CGS or not does not change one fundamental fact : your child is to start at a secondary school in Sept 2013.

I'm to remind you of the need to take gradual steps to help your child preparing themselves well in the new environment - it's a fact that the expectation in secondary school is very much different from the primary, especially when many primary schools are merely focusing on the 'Having FUN' bit, and NOT 'having fun in LEARNING', especially when many primary schools are NOT 'up to scratch' as reported in the following link,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... warns.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a Great 2013.

Average Dad
There is Nothing Harder than Convincing Ourselves Nothing is Hard
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Patient Parents,

Well, it's now official, I got an email from the Devon Council when checking my laptop at 0800 hrs.
DB is now officially being offered a place at CGS.

It's a bit strange though - the email came through my personal email account, and NOT the Devon Online Admissions Account, which stated parents will be notified on 2 March.

I'm sure there're more happy and relieved parents.

See your child this September - if they visit the CGS library on a Thursday afternoon.

All the Best and more importantly........take a Rest!

Average Dad
It's Worthy in the End
blog address deleted
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear soon to join the CGS Family Parents,

If I remember correctly about what happened to us back in March 2010 when our elder boy got accepted, you're soon to receive a letter from CGS, confirming your child has been allocated a place at CGS and requesting you to tick 1 of the 3 boxes (i.e. accept the place offered) and return the reply slip to CGS within 2 weeks of being so notified by your LA.

Then, around late March, you're to receive a letter from CGS, inviting your family to an Introductory Meeting on a Saturday in Mid-June, during which CGS will give a short presentation and your family of the opportunity to look around the school, time for you to give the school information about your child and raise any individual concern. A display of school uniform will also be available on the day.

Your child will eventually be invited to attend the Students' Induction Day, scheduled on a weekday near the end of June, during which your child will spend the WHOLE day at CGS. Your child will meet fellow pupils and staff, then follow a programme of activities and experience lunchtime arrangements.

Let's see if my wife and I (and our DS) happen to meet you and your child on the above two days.

Best wishes
Average Dad
Together We Plan Better
blog address deleted
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now