Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Averagedad

Re: Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Post by Averagedad »

Attended CGS open day on (Sat) 21 April with DB - all part of Mental Preparations, in addition to the Academic Preparations.

I think it's better to let a child to be physically in a school that they're to take a 11+, which they may subsequently spend 7 years thereat - to Visualise themselves being in that school enjoying some good study and play time.

Heard some figures from the headteacher during his briefing to the audience of about 400 adults & children. Two of which were :

- About 1 in 10 chance of getting into two quoted schools* but about 1 in 3 chance in CGS; (* one in Birmingham (King Edwards ????), the other is Tiffin - 1 in 12 chance?); and

- About 85 in Year 2010 & about 95 in Year 2011 out of the total intake of 120 were in Category A (i.e. Passed ALL 3 : VR, Maths & Eng)

Heard some arrangements from the headteacher regarding the Familiarisation on (Sat) 22 Sept. Three of which were :

- The candidates (Year 2011 was about 350) will be divided into small groups and taken into different classrooms;

- There will be NO more than 20 candidates (normally about 15) in a classroom; and

- Each candidate is to sit in the same seat, in the same room with the same supervising adult during the Actual test on (Sat) 6 Oct.

Audience were then divided into a group of 10 and then taken for a 25-minute school tour by a 6-former.

Good luck to your DC.
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Thanks for the feedback AverageDad - useful to hear about the arrangements..

I suspect the numbers of kids taking exams in some areas is partly related to population density in the area - decades ago I took the KEHS (Birmingham) exam and there were indeed a large number for each place - but then a large number could reasonably consider that it was place they could travel to each day.

Up here in the wilds of the Yorkshire Dales and down in Devon - there simply aren't so many people who can manage the commute - schools are still very good and the views are splendid.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

I'm pleased to see our DB has been progressing well over the last few months

So, this morning, I thought it's about time to give him 2 writing exercises + 20-minute break + VR

So, I asked him to write a short letter (20 minutes allowed) suggesting his headteacher to allow students having a LONGER breaks, and to write an incident (35 minutes allowed), during which he has shown both of his STRENGTH and WEAKNESS - the incident can be real or imaginary.

DC managed to complete the tasks within the time limit and wrote an interesting letter and an adventure, though I've reminded him again to avoid being 'TOO HUMOUROUS' (e.g. using US President names Mr Obama as the name for headteacher, and Mr Lincoln for his classmate) when writing a letter.

Intending to help DB to be ready for the real test in early October, I'm to let him to have a go from September, doing all three tasks in the same morning:

VR + 20-min break + Maths + 20-minute break + 2 writing tasks.

Trust every parent is 'On Track' in helping their DC to get ready for the real test in about 3-month time.

Good luck to everyone.

Average Dad
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

During the 6-week summer break, I had tried my best to maintain a 'Balanced Approach'.

Boys had to do a bit of reading, writing & revision 4 mornings a week, then lunch and play all day afterwards. It seemed to be working quite well even though we were in overseas, tempted by all these 'tourists's attractions'.

I had reminded them it's not about passing tests/exams, getting high marks etc., but all about developing the Right Habits (e.g. enjoy reading), the Right Mentality (e.g. work, play, work, play - can't work all day, can't just play,play)

DB started to take 3 tests in a row like the real one yesterday at home.

I arranged him to sit in a quiet room by himself, put a clock in front of him, pretending to be an examiner in telling him to fill in the 11+ practice forms (e.g. name, school name), read the instructions and start when he's ready etc. I then left the room, stating that I would come back to remind him of the time when there were 25 minutes and 5 minutes remaining.

So, at 0900, he started the VR (50 minutes)
Then 15 minutes break.
Started the procedure again after the break, asking him to fill in the forms......
Maths (50 mins). Another break.
Then the 2 writing tasks (45 mins)

DB was pleased with his work. I was pleased with his Calmness and Time Management.
Indeed, this last month is all about M & M : Mental Preparation & Management of Time.
DB has to start visualising 'He's in a classroom, doing the tests with other unfamiliar children & under a time constraint'.
One more home preparation on coming Sunday before the grammar school's Familiarisation Test on 22 September.

Good luck to everyone!

Average Dad
happymum

Post by happymum »

Good luck to all applicants taking the test this year. My son has volunteered to help out both days, so no doubt the memories will all come flooding back to him. :D
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

It's never been so real.

Received an Email from CGS last Friday afternoon, regarding arrangement for the Familiarisation Test and the Actual Test;

Received a letter from the Devon Council yesterday, formally (and finally) granting our underaged boy's early transfer to secondary education in September 2013; and

The Familiarisation Test is only 2 days away.......THIS Saturday.

Good luck to everyone.

Average Dad
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

22 September.
A day to remember.
A short walk from home to the grammar.

Our boy and I had a relaxing 5-minute chat.
I reminded him to enjoy the Familiarisation Test,
Before him going inside the hall with his jacket.

3 1/2 hours later,
I waited patiently outside school like any father.
He smiled, waved, then we walked home together.

Reminded him it's not about 'winning' this/next time,
But more about trying one's best every time,
And learning something new every time.

Ensure one's to become an ultimate winner over time.
Because Life is full of challenges all the times,
And mostly Tough Time followed by Great Time.

Only 12 more days,
The real test is on 6 Oct the Saturday.
Trust your DC is to enjoy the challenge on the day.

Average Dad
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

A perfect day.
For the T-day.
The real Test day.

DB and I walked.
We talked, we joked.
Then we stopped.

Arrived school's front entrance.
He walked in with full confidence,
After us waving goodbye in silence.

Twelve twenty-five in the afternoon,
I walked to school with a singing tune.
Surprised to see him coming out so soon.

Asked him how he found the Test.
He replied answers not too difficult to get.
Now, 9-day wait for result as simple as that.

Good luck to your loved one!

Average Dad
devondarling

Post by devondarling »

How did everyone else think it went? Thought the car park at Seaton was a bit manic!
Is that meant to be a poem averagedad? bit beyond me!
Glad the results will be out soon and that it is almost all over.
happymum

Post by happymum »

My son was a prefect on the day and told me that some of the pupils in his classroom mentioned they found the actual test harder than the practise. Which is interesting as most years - the feedback usually favours the opposite.