Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nearly there

Re: Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Post by nearly there »

Thanks Average Dad- it's only a few hours now until we know which school it will be :shock:
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

I'll tell DD to look out for you in the library next year :D
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Congratulation, nearly there or should I call you, finally there ! I know how it feels - I was there!

Perhaps, you lot may not have to wait till next year - CGS has a Garden Fair on 28 April on school ground. Our family will be there & my wife's to sell tea at the PTA stall (she's NOT a PTA official though) between 10-1200 hrs on the day.

http://www.colytongrammarschoolpa.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me share with you and others on how I help our younger boy to Visualise himself to be in CGS, which hopefully also help him to settle better and smoother if he gets in.

When our family returned UK in June 10 to attend a familiarisation tour at CGS organised for children accepted, we took our younger boy for the tour too. Then later the year, CGS had several Open Days for new entrants, we took our younger boy for the Open Day too. And since Nov 10, we've been playing family badminton game at the LED Colyton Sport Centre, situated at the CGS.

nearly there, this is only the beginning.

The hard work just begun. Your child needs you to continue motivating her, stimulating her, supporting her. As such, I suggest you to give her a bit of extra maths work every day (http://www.ixl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 5 questions a day to start with). You will be shocked by the Big Jump in the Maths being taught at CGS at Year 7- there're 4-5 parents(out of 30? in a room) stating their child couldn't do the Maths during the Maths Evening for Parents, held a few months after the new school year began.

Enjoy and relax for the time being.
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Average Dad, I truly hope your 2nd child gets into CGS - you seem to be piling the pressure on as if there is no alternative. If he doesn't get a place ( and lots of bright children don't ) he is going to be seriously disappointed and I guess that you will too but you can't let it show or his confidence will be zero.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi, mumbojumbo

Thanks for your concern.

I think differently from the Majority, possibily due to my somewhat different Life experience. As such, I don't have any Pressure but only PLENTY OF PLEASURE when seeing my DB so focused, enjoyed himself so much in doing a few practice papers recently - he saw it as 'games', 'challenges' etc., asking me to have a go & to time me, to see if I could get as many right & as fast as him!

You're right in saying that a lot of 'bright' children don't make it. Let me share with you and others why this is the case. Even if a child is GENUINE Bright, they still need the following skills to help them getting pass the 11+ hurdle :-

1) Emotionally Calm (e.g. some children start to panic when sitting in a proper examination setting);

2) Mentally Focus (e.g. some children can be easily distracted during the test like when hearing a panic child's crying)

3) Physically Fit (e.g. some schools requiring candidates to take all 3 papers in one morning, lasting over 3 hours)

4) Time Management (e.g. some children spend all the time in trying to get the first 60 questions right, leaving no time
for the remaining 20 questions)

5) Quick Thinking (e.g. some children cannot deal with questions they've never seen/taught before)

6) ........

I've always reminded both of my boys that,

'In Life, there're always someone better than you in some way, just like you're always better than others in some way. It's your duty is to ensure that you're to learn from the others & from their/your own mistakes, enabling yourself to become better & better over time.'

So, yes, there is always a possibility, no matter how remote it is, my DB may not be within the Top 120 out of the total about 350 candidates. But that's Life.

Having stated the above, I'm quite confident that DB should be able to, at least, make himself into the 120th.
(His relative young age & our home is only 3-minute walk to CGS will give him a bit of advantage should there be a tie at the 120th)

Of course, there is always a Plan B.

With his proven IQ record, confirmed CAT & KS2 Profile results & him already finished Grade 5 in piano etc., he should be able to get a scholarship (Academic or Music category) at a reputable private school without much difficulty- though he just wants to join his elder brother at CGS.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Just leanrt from the CGS's site that,
'All applicants to Colyton Grammar School must complete a Registration Form to attend the Familiarisation/ Test days. This is now available online and must be completed by midday on Friday 14 September 2012'.

I just completed the form for DB by visiting the following link,
http://www.colytongrammar.devon.sch.uk/ ... ements.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For more information about Admission and the relevant days, please visit,
http://www.colytongrammar.devon.sch.uk/ ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Luck :D
nonnymouse

Post by nonnymouse »

didn't know where my child would be next year when you asked, averagedad and now I don't choose to tell you. They have never failed any exam they have taken, no sour grapes here.

Your child is underage but you've put them in for the exam. They will therefore chose their GSCE subjects and potentially their future career even earlier than the average. I hope they make the right choice.

Summer born children do less well in examinations than their classmates born earlier in the school year see e.g. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/8860 ... ldren.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The harmful impact on performance of taking exams early is well known, that is why the vast majority of schools don't do it.

You have made your choice and after moving country naturally you would never admit it might not be worth it. I hope it works for your children and any others who have made it to the school, to those who didn't get a place it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I've not said Colyton is a bad school but if you could afford to move house you had better choices.
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Don't feed the troll :wink:
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi nonnymouse,

Although you like to question others' move and Not answer others' questions, still I would like to ask you the following 3 questions if you're here for Genuine Sharing,

- do you Sincerely believe that every person born on the Same day is to have the Same maturity And behave exactly the Same?

- do All the children in your child's class were born on the Same day?

- are All your friends are Exactly the Same age as you?

I always remind our boys it's Not age that brings people together, it is their Similarity in their characters, interests/hobbies/pass time, visions, thinking etc. that plant the seed of friendship, bonding people together.

The other point I have often reminded our boys is : Never, Ever Jump Conclusion - especially if they do Not have first hand experience themselves.

Hi nearly there,

Spot on! Yes, you're Absolutely Right in hinting that there are always some persons in Life, for whatever reasons, just love Attacking Others.

It's Fair to say that, 'There are always Losers and Winners in Life.'

Losers are those Only looking at the Negatives, Exaggerating the Negatives and Spreading the Negatives.
Winners are those examining Both Negatives & Positives, Exercising Common Sense in Evaluating the Negatives, and Succeeding in Turning Negatives into Positives.

I'm sure that you, nearly there, are one of the Winners because you're Honest and have been Genuine in Sharing.

Time is indeed too Precious to be wasted on Irrelevant Issues, Irrelevant People - let's do Not lose Focus.
Are you coming to the CGS Garden Fair in late April?
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

DB has been playing games with us during (most of our) 45-minute drive journey to Exeter.
One of which is the following, which he has learnt from his school mates and played with them during lunch time.

Participants have to take turn to find 'words that have something in common'.

For example,
DB starts with the word, 'Car',
Then I could say, 'Tyre' (part of a Car),
Or 'Train' (Another type of Transport) etc..
Assuming I say, 'Road' (where a Car is mostly found),
My wife could then say, 'Sign' (which can be found on a Road),
Or 'Street' (Another type of public access)
Then.......

I remember there were some questions in the 11+ very similar to the above game.
Like asking which two are 'odd ones' out of the given six, or the question has given something is similar to A and then asking what is similar to B etc.

You may wish to to play the above game with your DC while on a car journey, have some fun with your DC, which also can stretch their Imagination and Vocabularies as well as being used as a warm-up exercise for the coming 11+.

And my DB has beaten me on one or two occasions!