Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Averagedad

Re: Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Post by Averagedad »

Thank you for supporting Longyin, happymum.

I'm pleased to know that your boy is doing well in his 6th form.

There will be more surprises along the way in the Child Genius series - you better see it as an 'entertaining' NOT 'educational' programme (more like drama than factual).

Have another great week.

Best wishes
Terence
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Glad to see Longyin enjoying his Induction Day on Wednesday and he's happy to know which house he'd be in. He discovered that he's not the only child was 'underaged', though he's still the youngest.

He looked funny and thought I made it up when I told him 'Good Schools Guide' made the following comments on twitter (search 'good schools guide child genius'):

Good Schools Guide @GoodSchoolsUK 25 Jun
Agggg. Who will join our Longyin fan club??!!! #childgenius

Good Schools Guide @GoodSchoolsUK 25 Jun
Bring back Longyin! RT @TWAHW: Am gutted he lost - thought he was wonderful! #childgenius

Good Schools Guide @GoodSchoolsUK 26 Jun
Here it is! Terence for Secretary of State for Education, Longyin for PM! #childgenius http://youtu.be/ATuhdhfdURw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps, you may wish to know how I showed Longiyn dealing with 'Cyber Bullying',
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbk_u_l9rgk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get ready for the summer break!

Best wishes
Terence
happymum

Post by happymum »

Bitterly disappointed to see Longyin leave the competition Terrence. We are now routing for Trinidy to win and awful though it may sound - we're relieved Hugo went home.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

There were so many things happened 'behind the scene', happymum, that I was thinking about organising a Fun/Fund Raising Event, named Child Genius Hot Gossip Morning Tea!

While having a cup of tea, I can then share with CGS parents (a gold coin donation suggested) of many insider stories. Just to give some examples. Do you know :

1) Shrinidhi was one of the 4 won the 'Winner of the Week' in the Round 1? (i.e. Reasoning & Mental Maths)
(All 4 scored the same 12 points)

2) 1 child did not want to take part in the afternoon session of the Round 2? (i.e. Card Memory Test)

3) Hugo was not the first choice for the BBC breakfast show?

4) What I said to Rosa Maris when I saw her crying after she couldn't make it to the Round 3?

5) The name I' d suggested to the producer to change? (i.e. rather than using the title 'Child Genius')

6) The True reason why Catherine's mum didn't believe Catherine could survive the Round 1?

7) The True reason why Longyin answered the Definitions in the Round 3 at a 'lightning speed' as the Quiz Master said?

8) What Leo and Hugo were like when 'off the camera'?

9) Who.....

If I could convince my wife, then we're to send out the invitation through CGS's Parentmail, having this Child Genius Hot Gossip Morning Tea at our home, yes, every viewer knows its name by now, on (Fri) 12 July.

Best wishes
Terence
happymum

Post by happymum »

How on earth did I manage to misspell her name so dreadfully. As well as 'routing' instead of 'rooting'. Dear oh dear - I have always believed that spelling is my forte.

Child Genius Gossip morning sounds fun Terence.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Wife said 'NO' to the Child Genius Hot Gossip/Tea morning, happymum.

She's probably right, we're too busy at the moment : just bought a house, need to organise moving, builders etc., to plan our 5-week overseas trip, helping other parent freinds to help their children preparing the coming 11+ etc.

Have another good week.

Terence
Paddy67

Post by Paddy67 »

Congratulations and thank-you for an insightful thread Averagedad et al.,

My family and I are currently living in Switzerland and considering moving back to the UK next year. We are in the fortunate position of being able to choose where we live and my first "google" was for good secondary schools in the UK. Having a bias for living by the coast I soon found your thread.

My daughters will be 6 & 8 years old when we move and have the following questions:

In anticipation of taking the CGS entrance exam, should I consider placing them in a private school or would the local state primary school be sufficient given some appropriate parental support (note, another forum suggested that there is a higher prevalence of independent school students gaining admittance due to being better prepared)?

What are the options given not getting into CGS?

Regards
Paddy
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi Paddy67,

I'm glad that you've found something useful from my thread.
(Funny that I recently got one from USA and one from HK are saying the same)

I got a call from another parent earlier today that is in the same position as yours - her family is now in overseas and can move back to any place in UK.

She asked, amongst other things, the same question like you did : is there another good school nearby if her child fails to get into CGS?

I was told by other parents that this is a good school, which has also got an 'Outstanding' from Ofsted, http://www.woodroffe.dorset.sch.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (it has an Aptitude Test)

To get a private primary education or not is more a personal choice. If a parent thinks a private school can raise their child's chance in getting into CGS AND can afford the about £10,000 a year price tag AND for a few years AND for 2/more children, then they may wish to give it a go. (http://www.exeterschool.org.uk/admissions/fees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

But for me, (and a few other parents) my child has been doing fine at a state primary. As I have repeatedly stated in my myboysmyboss blog, I personally believe it is the parents that give their child the 'Edge' that makes the difference - the daily 15-30 minutes 1-1 positive stimulation at home. For your information, 11 out of a total of about 45 Year 6 students in our boy's state primary, http://www.seatonprimary.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, are to start at CGS in Sept (Though 7 of the 11 has an elder sibling already attending CGS)

Hope the above help.

Best wishes
Terence
Together We Plan Better
Paddy67 wrote:Congratulations and thank-you for an insightful thread Averagedad et al.,

My family and I are currently living in Switzerland and considering moving back to the UK next year. We are in the fortunate position of being able to choose where we live and my first "google" was for good secondary schools in the UK. Having a bias for living by the coast I soon found your thread.

My daughters will be 6 & 8 years old when we move and have the following questions:

In anticipation of taking the CGS entrance exam, should I consider placing them in a private school or would the local state primary school be sufficient given some appropriate parental support (note, another forum suggested that there is a higher prevalence of independent school students gaining admittance due to being better prepared)?

What are the options given not getting into CGS?

Regards
Paddy
Paddy67

Post by Paddy67 »

Hi Terence
Thanks for your comprehensive and concise response and will have a read of your blog. I now/will have the information required to put together a convincing proposal for my wife, who is not so sure about a move back to the UK.
I assume from this thread that you are happy and feel settled in Seaton/Colyton - do you plan on staying long term?
Thanks again
Paddy67
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi Paddy,

I suggest you NOT to put together a 'convincing proposal' to your wife at this stage - I've learnt Life the hard way, my wife often 'reminds' me the right way to discuss issues with her!

Perhaps, you may consider to 'talk' with your wife first, trying to find out what her feelings are, what her needs are, what her concerns are etc., rather than 'jumping your gun' a bit by presenting her a 'convincing proposal', saying 'Honey, it's alright, I've it all figured out. Let's fly back to Britain next week!'.

Perhaps after taking to your wife, you could be the one being convinced to stay in Switzerland!

I'm old enough to understand the wisdom of 'making a decision with your wife rather than for your wife'

Yes, my recent move in buying a house is another proof of my commitment to our local community. Also, my boys have played so far 5 mini-concerts for the local pensioners/charities, my wife has been volunteering at a local charity and I've been a parent volunteer at the CGS since 2011.

Moreover, I've been trying to materialise the project 'Together We Make Britain Great Again' to stimulate the local community, and have been helping local parents to stimulate their children to become better of themselves. The local library has invited me to give a talk to the local elderly in October.

Hopefully, I can implement a few plans in the next 2-3 years, aiming to help the CGS students (e.g. I may hire 1/2 excel in English to edit my few books, 1/2 excel in IT to design my website, 1/2 excel in Business Studies to market my products etc.), helping the 6th formers to taste a bit of the real world, earn a bit of pocket money, get a bit of working experience as well as allowing them to develop and polish a bit of the much needed Essential Life Skills.

So yes, I will be very busy in the local area for at least another 7 years!

Busy Terence