Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Paddy67

Re: Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Post by Paddy67 »

Thanks Terence
I did chuckle to myself when reading your response - you are, of course, spot-on with your advice. My wife and I have now started to discuss the topic of moving back to the UK. This, as you surmised, has raised some interesting discussion as to the main cause(s) leading to my wish to return.
I will post further updates and our progress.
Take care
Paddy
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi Paddy,

Any update?
To be or not to be.......?

Hope you lot enjoy the weather in Switzerland.

(We're now enjoying the sunshine in the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia, after escaping from the intense heat in Hong Kong)

Kind regards
Terence
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
russet

Post by russet »

Hello.

Hope you don't mind me asking directly on your thread but it occured to me that it would be better to ask my questions to someone who has already had children go through the test.

Are the 3 English sections timed individualy or are all the papers given together so if the student finished the comprehension early they could move on to the next section?

Is the comprehension multiple choice?

Is the punctuation multiple choice?

My last question is a bit of a, "How long is a piece of string." I was just looking for a rough idea of what scores on maths, VR and the comprhension and punctuation sections of english practice papers other children were aiming for at a month before the exam in order to be in the qualifying 120.

I realise you may be busy but would be pleased if you could find the time to answer any of these questions.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi russet

Yes, indeed we're exceptionally busy - we just returned UK at 0005 hrs on 4 Sept after being away for 5 weeks, there are still over 20 bags to unpack after us moving into our new home 2 days before us being away for 5 weeks.....and Longyin started his 1st day at CGS this morning!

I've learnt from parents attending CGS Open Day that it's introduced a new format for the English paper this year. As such, I couldn't comment on whether the comprehension or punctuation test is 'multiple choice' type, as our boys didn't have that when them taking the 11+ back in 2009 and 2012.

Back then, there were 2 writing tasks in the English paper (i.e. NO comprehension/punctuation), and candidates were allowed to move onto the 2nd task once they'd finished the 1st one.

About a month before the test, I'd reminded Longyin he'd to score around 80% in VR and Maths in the practice papers, to secure himself in the Category A. And he did achieve that.

Perhaps you may consider attending the last Open Day this Saturday and get the clarifications from the Headteacher?

And if you've the time after visiting the school, perhaps you could also consider joining me and others for a cup of tea at a local cafe at Seaton as mentioned in my Blog - with everyone sharing ideas on how we could make parenting more enjoyable?

Hope the above help - have to start checking all mails arriving for the last 5 weeks!

Wish you and your child all the best and make the most of this 11+ experience.

Cheers
Terence
Every Test is there to Make Us Better, Stronger & Wiser
russet wrote:Hello.

Hope you don't mind me asking directly on your thread but it occured to me that it would be better to ask my questions to someone who has already had children go through the test.

Are the 3 English sections timed individualy or are all the papers given together so if the student finished the comprehension early they could move on to the next section?

Is the comprehension multiple choice?

Is the punctuation multiple choice?

My last question is a bit of a, "How long is a piece of string." I was just looking for a rough idea of what scores on maths, VR and the comprhension and punctuation sections of english practice papers other children were aiming for at a month before the exam in order to be in the qualifying 120.

I realise you may be busy but would be pleased if you could find the time to answer any of these questions.
russet

Post by russet »

Thank you for replying.

It is reassuring to have an indication of the levels required in maths and VR and I am happy to say that as the exam approaches dd is mostly attaining this level, (though not as consistantly as I'd like).

I can't make the Saturday open day, but may get her used to timing the separate parts of the english herself, in case it is not done for her. After the mock, which is only two weeks away now, we should get a better picture anyway of what to expect. We did get to an open day in earlier in the year and really liked the school.

I hope you settle happily into your new house and your son into his new school.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Drop boys off this morning at 1025 hrs for their weekly badminton session at Colyon Sport Centre, which is situated at the CGS.

Noticed there were 5 coaches parked at its car park. Given that each coach could take up to about 60 persons(?), and some might walk to CGS - there should be around 300 (?) children taking the 'warm up', the 11+ Familiarisation Exercise.

But then again, the chance of about 1 in 3 in getting into a Top 1% school amongst about 5,500 secondary schools (including private) in England & Wales is definitely worthy a try.

Good luck.

Best wishes
Terence
Together We Become Better
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Holiday Mood Prospective Parents,

A copy of CGS's Admissions Policy for September 2015 has been made available for existing CGS parents for consultation.

You can have a rough idea on what is to happen, http://headcgs.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (check the 30 Nov's entry - just below this entry, you will find my boy's appeal for a children's charity)

Have a relaxing Christmas.

Best wishes
Terence
Time to Relax, Look Back & Plan Ahead
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Last Minute Shopping Parents,

Christmas for many is a time for Relaxation.

But for some it could be a time for Exploration : checking the targeted grammar school, walking the town it is in, having a feel of the local life, helping your child to have a better Visualization?

Christmas always Happy...because of our Family.

Best wishes
Terence
Seeing is Believing...and for better Planning
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Responsible Parents,

The CGS's Open Days are coming - 1st on (Sat) 26 April for 2015 Entry,

https://www.colytongrammar.devon.sch.uk ... endays.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meanwhile, see if the following link can help you/your older child to become better in making public speech,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZIjxXurqkY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Luck.

Terence
Never about ME, Always about WE
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now