Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nonnymouse

Re: Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Post by nonnymouse »

moving house to get a child into a school puts a lot of pressure on the child. I don't know Reading schools at all but independent schools take all the higher places in the Financial Times tables. The general league tables include qualifications (like General Studies) that are not valued by universities and others, like Critical Thinking and the Extended Project, that are of little value. State schools do these to inflate their position in the league tables while independents concentrate on the 3 A levels valued by top universities.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Very true, nonnymouse. That's why we moved ONLY AFTER our elder boy being accepted by CGS.

As I'd only 2 months to help our elder boy preparing the 11+, and to avoid him feeling 'too much at stake', I'd reminded him,

'Just try your Best, the whole point is about knowing where you are at, OK?
You may not make it This time or Next time.
But as long as long one keeps trying their Best Every Time, learn something Every Time, they'll make it Over Time, OK?
'Remember, you'd be much better off for being in the middle of the Best group of students than being the Best of a Middle group of students'
(He's top of his class in a OZ private school at the time)

Also Very True, nonnymouse, there are many state schools 'being innovative' in trying to get their league table position higher.

That's why I, like many other parents, tend to use one benchmark (which is also being used by many top private school Headteachers) :
% of six-formers accepted by Oxbridge.

For your information, CGS had 20 six-formers (out of a total of about 102), that is about 20% or 1 in 5 of ALL six-formers, being accepted by Oxbridge in 2011, which is amongst one of the Highest (if not 'THE') in the State Schools (alongside with the Colchester Royal Grammar School in Essex?)

That's why we'd like to see our younger boy getting into CGS too, because my friend has to pay an annual fee of about £15,000. to send their child to a private school in Sevenoak, just for the reason it has a equally impressive academic record as CGS.

Below please find the E Mail sent by the Headteacher of CGS to parents, which was also published in the local paper.

On 26 January 2012 21:03, ParentMail <messages@parentmail.co.uk> wrote:

National Performance Tables for KS4 and KS5 were published by the Government today. (26 January 2012).
At GCSE, Colyton was ranked fourth and at A level 10th Nationally. We were the top ranked, state mixed sex school in both tables.

I am delighted to see that the hard work of students and staff has been recognised by these tables, that place Colyton at the top of rankings of state and independent schools nationally. The success at GCSE is particularly gratifying given that students take their GCSEs at the end of Y10, a year earlier than normal.

Of course, there's far more to a good school than that recorded in these tables, which are only a snapshot. Successful schools have happy students who are engaged in a wide range of sports, the arts and other activities. We are keen to develop the whole person and make our students good leaders and enthusiastic independent learners.

Nearly twenty percent of our leavers last summer started degrees at Oxbridge colleges and we are successful at supporting students to get places at competitive courses in the best Universities. Nevertheless, it is gratifying to see the success of our young people. We are a school where the three key elements for school success come together, enthusiastic learners, outstanding teachers and supportive parents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16729387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; GCSE League Tables 4th Nationally

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16730014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Key Stage 5 Tables- 10th Nationally

Paul Evans Head teacher
Last edited by Averagedad on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
Kit

Post by Kit »

Well said!!
nonnymouse

Post by nonnymouse »

as I said state schools do extra, unnecessary, qualifications in order to inflate their position in some league tables, the ones you quote. Some also encourage students to do "soft" subjects not valued by the leading universities. The Financial Times tables strip that out and give a better indication of the relative position of different schools. Colyton is one of the better performing state schools in those tables but well down the list after quite a few independent schools. I don't know if that would include the independent school in Reading you were suggesting Reading Mum might move their child from but it should certainly be something they consider. I don't know what percentage of children in other schools go to Oxbridge, if Reading Mum wants to look at such figures she should be aware that independent schools are starting to send pupils to Ivy League universities.

Many medical schools dislike students taking their A levels over 3 years, was this something you also considered? One can't know at 11 what subjects a child will want to study later but parents should be aware that their child's choices may be restricted. It should be mentioned if suggesting a parent might uproot their family.

Naturally having moved home you have a lot invested in the school. It's a good school, but not as good as it claims.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi nonnymouse,

You appear to be very well informed and I'm sure you appreciate it is Fact in Life that,
What a parent wants does NOT mean they are to get it.
Job wise, Money wise & indeed School wise - do you have that experience before?
As such, it's Fair to say that every parent needs a Plan B just in case.
I's therefore wondering if you'd be kind enough to share with everyone in the forum of your Wisdom on the following :-

1) Under what Criterion you'd used to choose the school(s) for YOUR child/ren?

2) Which school(s) YOUR child/ren currently attending?

Thank you for your Genuine Sharing.

Wanting to be Enlightened Averagedad
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

September 2011 saw 8 new Colyton Medical students and 20 Oxbridge students start their courses- not bad for a year group of 102 from a small school in rural Devon and far better numbers than any other school in the South West, fee-paying or otherwise.

Here's the link to the Financial Times league table info I posted earlier about SW schools:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=24440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of the 49 schools above Colyton in the FT league tables, 39 were in London or the home counties and 8 were state grammars-all of which were in London/home counties- a little far for my family to commute!

Nonnymouse- you do seem to be quite anti-Colyton- any particular reason?
nonnymouse

Post by nonnymouse »

Sutton Trust report on Oxbridge admissions. http://www.suttontrust.com/research/deg ... al-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colyton does well for a state school but has about a third the percentage admissions of the top independent schools. That's based on 3 year averages.

Nearlythere Average dad was suggesting Reading mum relocate - from a location which the league tables show have grammars quite as good as Colyton's - and from independent to state. To support that he quoted a misleading statement from the school. I dislike misrepresentation, whether it is by Colyton or any other school.
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Nonnymouse - It is inaccurate to say it was misleading- A state school head quoted the league tables produced by the "state"- the dept of education, part of the government who fund the state schools. I agree the FT is a better reflection though.
And I think Average Dad's comment was purely regarding the probability of success- highest for Colyton at approx 1 in 3 vs 1 in 5 for Reading. Reading schools look excellent.

You are right there are "better" schools than Colyton - there are 21 schools in the UK who have more than 20% of pupils going to Oxbridge (Colyton was 19.6% this year) but 20 are fee-paying, 1 is grammar and ALL are in or near London, which would not be a consideration for our family.

But to keep things in perspective, there are 2154 schools which have lower rates of Oxbridge admission than Colyton.

No school is perfect or suits everyone, but I for one will be thrilled if my DD is offered a place on Thursday.

If it is not to be, there are plenty of other good schools nearby, not in Colyton's league maybe, but able to educate my DD well.
I hope if she does not get through I can remain objective and continue to see Colyton as a great school.
One thing I have found is that, in talking to others, the loudest critics of Colyton are those whose DCs did not make it through the test. I hope I would not feel the need to join in! Its best advocates are the pupils themselves.

Anyway I am sure we have bored everyone enough and just hope that any future parents can make use of the FT rankings and Sutton trust report I put on my other thread, talk to parents of DCs actually at Colyton who know the school first hand rather than hearsay and make their own minds up, and perhaps consider that some objectors may not always have objective views!

I hope your DCs are happy and successful wherever they are at school in Devon (I assume you are local as all your posts have been Devon).
Last edited by nearly there on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Oh and a belated apology to Average Dad for totally hijacking your thread!

I think a "support" group sounds great as we didn't have a tutor so it would have been good to meet up and share ideas/ support as it all seemed so secretive!!

Good luck with your plans.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi nearly there,

Sorry for not responding sooner as I've been too busy in running around to ensure my Underaged child could take the coming 11+

No need to apologise!

Instead, I've to Salute you for your BHS : Bravery, Honesty & Supportive.

Bravery : Not everyone has the Courage as you to say, 'Hey, this is NOT Right, Stop Unjustified & Unreasonable Attack'.

Honesty : Not everyone has the Honesty as you to say, 'Look, even if my child cannot get into CGS, I still think CGS is a great school - NO hard feelings.'

Supportive : Not everyone has been as Supportive as you,''Wait, all Avearagedad did was to remind another parent the chance was up from 1/5 to 1/3.'

Your child WILL BE THERE (i.e. NOT just nearly there, hahaha!) -in a great school, has a great future because - Children learn MOSTLY from what their parents DO. You've demonstrated that you're a KFC : Kind, Focused Carer.

Hi nonnymouse,

I'd like to Salute you too for your 3P.

Persistent in NOT answering my 2 questions (though you wasted no time in putting forward your another view);

Perfection in 'Turning Positives into Negatives' (e.g. parents appreciating CGS for NOT wasting too much time on GCSE)

Preparing for being SOB : Systematic Obsessive Bashing on CGS

Hi the Humble, Happy & Helpful Silent Majority,

I wish you all the best of luck.
For those waiting for the result, I'm sure your child WILL do well regardless of which school they're to attend.
For those preparing their child for the coming 11+, please feel free to PM me if you so wish.

Everyone deserves a Happy Ending.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now