Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Averagedad

Re: Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Realistic Parents,

It's never been so Real - holding a Congratulating Letter from CGS this morning.

It came with, amongst other things, an Invitation Letter, inviting our family to attend an Introductory Meeting at 0930 hrs on (Sat) 8 June, and our DS to spend the whole day at CGS on the Students' Induction Day, scheduled on (Wed) 26 June.

See if our family is to bump into families from this forum.

Best wishes
Average Dad
Everything is Happening/Not Happening for a Reason
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Busy but Happy Parents

Remember, you've to return the 'Acceptance of Offer' to CGS by 19 March, the coming Tuesday.

Best wishes
Average Dad
Time has come for your Child to Shine
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Planning Ahead Parents,

Here we go again - the 2014 Entry.

http://headcgs.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open Days are listed and more information about the school.

Enjoy the 11+ Journey - everyone is to benefit from it because in Real Life there is always Competition, which is to help our DC to find their Strength & Weakness, what to Focus and how to be Better of themselves.

Have a Great Easter Break.

Best wishes
Average Dad
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Soon Back to Normal Parents,

You may wish to attend the CGS's Garden Fair, enabling you to find out more about the school from an 'unofficial ' source, http://www.colytongrammarschoolpa.org.uk/garden-fair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our family will be there to show support for the school, and for your DC too if your family is there on the day too.

Best wishes
Average Dad
Better Decision comes from Better Information
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Positive Parents,

After our younger boy finished his 11+ last Oct, my wife & I started looking new challenges for him - children enjoy taking old routines AND taking on new challenges.

Our younger boy agreed to take part in a new tv series, which promotes positive stimulation to children & celebrates brightness of children, by involving children to compete in spelling, maths, memory and general knowledge.

I've been advised that the 1st (out of a total of 4) episodes will soon be aired on Channel 4.

See if you can find something from this series to positively stimulate your DC, raising their chance of passing the coming 11+.

(See also if you can spot our younger boy)

Best wishes
Average Dad
More Preparation, Better Stimulation, Success No Question
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Patient Parents,

All ready for the Familiarisation Day on (Sat) 8 June?

See you and your DC there.

Best wishes
Average Dad
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Dear Always Improving Parents,

It's strange to see DB & I in the magazines, 'What's on TV', 'TV & Satellite Week' and the newspaper, The Times this morning.

Also strange to see our interviews are being published.

Stranger to see my words, 'Genius? It's a Curse. I want him to be happy.' is quoted as the headline of the article in The Times.

So,it's really happening.....

The new 4-part tv series, which our DC is involved in with another 20 bright children, will be on air on Tue (11 June) at 9: 00 pm on Channel 4.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/chil ... /episode-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See if your bright child could be positively stimulated by the programme.

Strangest of all, DB & I are invited to BBC's Breakfast morning show next week.
(Oops...it's another family to appear on the show in the coming Monday morning, as we spent too much time as a family to discuss whether DB should be going - the producer couldn't wait. Good luck to that family.)

But nothing is as strange as our British weather - unpredictable.....though with unbelievable sunshine lately!

Best wishes
Average Dad
Every Child is Gifted - as long as we parents help them to unlock their Potentials
Kit

Post by Kit »

Hi Averagedad
We just watched the Child Genius programme and just wanted to say that your son comes across as a lovely boy with a great sense of humour! His big brother looked like he was putting up with all the fuss very well too.
Last edited by Kit on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi Kit

Thank you for your kind words about our boys.

You'd be amused how many 'family meetings' we'd before we first agreed to appeared on tv, and then to continue the competition after each round!

You'd also be amused how many legal papers - yes, all 4 of us - had signed to agree not to disclose certain details in public, or there'll be lawyer knocking on our door!

Yes, there are, as you're rightly suspecting, some 'clever editing' - I knew it because certain things about our family was not properly or ambiguously presented, just like the 30-minute DAILY chores, and .........

Remember, tv channels are very selective on 'what to show', 'how to show' etc., to ensure everyone is talking about the show. So they don't have time to tell all the facts. As bsuch, I was trying to set up a twitter account to join the childgenius conversation yesterday but without luck (my account was suspended as I wasn't sure how to tweet and had caused the web controller some troubles!) I was thinking about putting in a tweet, pointing out the above facts, and tell anyone interested to find out more about the REAL life Longyin is enjoying to check my blog, http://www.myboysmyboss.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

It's NOT just about me or Longyin, but about how EVERYONE can enjoy good parenting and a better future for their family as a whole :
- if a parent thinks my approach is All Right, they can take the whole lot;
- if a parent thinks my approach is All Wrong, they can forget it and find their own way; and
- if one finds mine has Some Right, then Modify them and Tailor-made them for their own child!

I can tell you and others more once the last episode is aired.

(Do you mind telling me which years your DCs are in? - send me a PM please)

Tired (NOT Tiger) Dad
Terence
happymum

Post by happymum »

Terence it is nice to be able to put a face to the name. My son (he is in sixth form) and I enjoyed the first programme and were willing Longyin to do well. We're looking forward to the next episode.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now