choosing a grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fionagb

choosing a grammar

Post by fionagb »

What are the implications of applying to both TBGS and Colyton?? Is it possible? We are relocating to Devon from London at my son's move up to secondary school and hope to use the chance to get him into a grammar school. We are flexible about where we live so there is no practical issue about location.

If anyone can advise me I'd be grateful! Thank you
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

:P
There is no point in putting your child through unnecessary extra exam testing as if your child is capable of passing the 11+ he will be accepted by the grammar school you choose to place first on your preference form.

Select the grammar school you all feel is the right choice and apply to that one alone as your first choice secondary school on the preference form. Grammars admit the top achieving 120 - or 150 in the case of TGSB.

We have just been through this "harrowing" process ourselves and we considered the same question. I have researched this whole topic thoroughly and spoken to/emailed/telephoned LEAs and grammar schools.

My daughter passed and starts at her chosen grammar in a few days' time.

The big problem with applying to the Devon or Torbay grammars is that if your child is not in the accepted cohort, your second choice/only remaining option in the state sector is a comprehensive. Otherwise it means private!!!

Hope this is useful. Best of Luck in choosing!
fionagb

Post by fionagb »

Thanks Carrie for your sensible advice. Things are a little clearer now and my son will sit only for TBGS; we are currently deciding which of the local comprehensives to put as 2nd and 3rd choices. Looking like a choice of KEVICS, Teign and S Dartmoor. (I don't know if anyone local has any views on those??) Coming from London however even the comprehensives look like reasonable schools and if my son ends up there then I think he can still do well.

I hope your daughter is enjoying her grammar school and wish we too were on the other side of this rather nerve wracking process!
Surfwidow

Choosing a comp

Post by Surfwidow »

Hi Fiona,
I have heard that S Dartmoor has done well this year in the league tables, the Teign School also has a good reputation, my nephew is currently at Keviccs, an arts and drama academy, with no uniform whatsoever. He seems to be thriving there and has been placed on their Gifted and Talented register. It is rather a mixed bag and it took him a long time to settle in because of his ability but now he's in Yr 11 things are looking up. I have been told the 6th Form is very good there.
Katie

alternative choices

Post by Katie »

I support the advice already given.
All of the schools mentioned would be possibile choices for us if we lived in a different part of the bay.
For schools actually in Torbay - Westlands and St.Cuthbert Mayne are popular choices. Most schools publish their most recent OfSTED reports on their web sites - so those are also worth a look.
If I lived in the Totnes area - I would be happy to choose KEVICS or any of the others.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now