Three year sixth form at Colyton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Three year sixth form at Colyton

Post by Guest55 »

They are not achieving as many A*s at GCSE as they could in Year 11, fact! They are not top of that measure.
tiredmumof2

Post by tiredmumof2 »

This thread is great - please can someone tell me where to get some stepford children....

I tried so hard to find some.

First, my kids got into Colyton, which was a start. (And saved me several hunderd thousand pounds apparently in the process).

I thought I'd push them to do their GCSEs a year early so they were too busy to answer back, and might approximate as Stepford children.

I even tried to ensure their music was held back (having taken account of the only satisfactory ratings) but NOTHING HAS WORKED so far.

They still seem to be so normal, and quite musical to boot.

Where did I go wrong? Will I need to lobotomise them? Is that legal?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

:lol:

Obviously you are all going to deny fishy goings on...otherwise you would be outed and the game would be up, didn't the dad's in the film meet in a country club or something, to plan and conspire?...I feel like renting the film now!

Either that or parents too are unaware that Colyton school is really an alien centre for research, and children pass through mind altering thresholds on the way in, and then get put back to normal at 3.30pm ready for home.

The ultimate test would be to check for bubbles in their sticky back plastic coated books...if there are no bubbles, then something is definitely dodgy!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Incidentally does anyone know when the three year sixth form was introduced?

I ask since I have just noticed in the FT "A"-Level League Tables for 2011 Colyton was rated 50th in the country (state and independent combined), the school's best ever result, up from 120th in 2010.
Loopy
suedonim

Post by suedonim »

Interesting diversion.

Boys are likely to get lower results with early GSCEs so how strange to assume I must be asking for a daughter. I am going elsewhere for this child.

The first year to take early GSCEs complete 3 year university courses in the coming academic year, so working back would tell you when it started.

Grade inflation was taking place at the time and the school was being increasingly successful at attracting bright children. Although quite a few of the children live in the Axe Valley area while at the school fewer were born in the area. the school's results were improving before the change to early GCSEs for those reasons and these changes of course obscured the effect of the change.

I don't think Colyton produces Stepford children but it does have some Stepford parents :D unable to see the school as it is and blinded by its good presentation skills. It has very able children and like most schools it's good at some things and not others. Early GSCEs are not in the interests of the children.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Maybe Colyton made the considered decision that a few percentage points dropped by doing GCSEs in Y10 (seriously - ONLY 12th in the Telegraph table? How do they live with the shame????) is more than made up for by their really interesting-sounding 3 year 6th form. From what I've heard of it, I'd be more than happy for my kids to go there: the y11 curriculum sounds great, and I think it's wonderful that a state school has managed to carve out time like that to really broaden their students.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now