Three year sixth form at Colyton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pooplechair

Re: Three year sixth form at Colyton

Post by pooplechair »

Guest55 wrote:Really - I am just speaking as a teacher who knows what Ofsted look at - we cannot see that for this school.

We don't do early entry we stopped it some time back when we realised some students were missing out on A*s. Read the research - it's not just my opinion - it's a FACT!

For example:
http://www.acme-uk.org/news/news-items- ... athematics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OFSTED have considerably evaluated the school as outstanding. It gets the best results in the country. Which bit of this do you not understand? Doing the GCSEs in Y10 is not a problem for these kids.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The school was last inspected in 2007 and that was not a full inspection! The Ofsted Framework has changed considerably since then.
russet

Post by russet »

If you are a teacher who knows what Ofsted looks for, you will also know they do not do inspections in schools with which they are happy.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They do - any school can be randomly selected ...

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-rep ... ELS/136366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Music ... satisfactory ... so not outstanding in every aspect then?
russet

Post by russet »

Nowhere is perfect in every minute aspect.

However, for those sending their children there, earlier GCSEs and a three year A level is best suited to their children as many would be bored if GCSEs were dragged out another year.

If you do not feel such a system would suit your child or teaching style then perhaps moving all the way to Devon would not be the right move for you. Happily Buckinghamshire is far enough away for you not to be affected by it.

However others do feel that the education provided by Colyton Grammar does best serve their children.
pooplechair

Post by pooplechair »

*Guest55* Why are you obsessed with Colyton?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I was also wondering why people posted that Ofsted 'regularly' assessed the school as 'outstanding' when clearly it has not.

Don't you wonder why no other school has copied it if it is such a great idea?
pooplechair

Post by pooplechair »

2007 doesn't seem like very long ago to me! Must be my age. :( the school was evaluated as outstanding at inspections prior to 2007 though, 2007 wasn't a one off good year. And, oh, as we mentioned before - it's been the top school for GCSE results for the last two years (and was close to the top in the years before that). You keep ignoring this inconvenient little fact.

As I understand it some schools have copied the idea of the accelerated GCSEs but they haven't done it so well. Perhaps Colyton is just a fabulous school that makes a system that wouldn't work so well elsewhere, work brilliantly for itself.

You still haven't told us why you are obsessed. Me, I wouldn't be able to name a school in bucks and I have both relatives and friends living there. How come you are so interested in a school in Devon.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I don't want to get embroiled in this argument, however, did just want to point out that a 2007 Ofsted report is a very long time ago, in school terms. You are talking about an inspection that took place over 6 years ago, which equates to an entire cohort working their way through the school and out the other side. Things can change dramatically in a school in that time - heads change, teachers change etc. Although Ofsted say that they only inspect outstanding schools when there is a cause for concern, how they can tell that there isn't a cause for concern when they haven't been in for over 6 years, is beyond me. I am not, however, saying that there is a cause for concern at this particular school, just pointing out that, as someone who works as a freelance education consultant in a number of schools, in a number of different counties, I would not rely on any inspection report that was over 3 years old, without undertaking my own research.
spider

Post by spider »

Kenyancowgirl how would you undertake your own research?