Mock results and deciding whether to carry on

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
helpinghand

Mock results and deciding whether to carry on

Post by helpinghand »

My daughter has just received her practice test results and was disappointed. She is being tutored and has been doing lots of papers. Up until now she has been doing well. This is disappointing but now we have to decide whether to carry on until September. DD says she would like to carry on but I wonder if it is unrealistic. :?

Can anyone tell me whether there DD's mock result was an accurate indicator to her final result?
erisindevon

Re: Mock results and deciding whether to carry on

Post by erisindevon »

Which schools are you looking at? I'm guessing Plymouth, as I know the girls' mock results came out last Friday.

What does her tutor say? What levels is she working at in school?

My dd did the test last year, and among her friends the mock was fairly indicative of the real results. However, my dd's score jumped quite a lot in the actual test, which surprised us all. We put it down to nerves in the mock overwhelming her, whereas in September she knew what to expect and found it easier to concentrate.

Don't forget that the mock is more exhausting (in Plymouth at least) because both tests are done on the same day. In Sept they are a week apart, so any practise in the run-up can be more focused.

Also - I knew a few girls who were borderline but really really wanted to go to the grammars, and pulled out all the stops over the summer. Several of them qualified.

If your dd isn't discouraged, and wants to keep trying, why not let her have a go?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Don't be too discouraged. It shows that the exam environment is a problem for her and you need to find out why. How was she on timing? Did she feel stressed? Did the other dc's distract her? Did she rush and not read the questions properly? That is why mocks are crucial. Doing papers at home does not prepare dc's for the real thing. Are there companies that run mocks near you that you could use? Many v v able students get low marks in exams because of technique not ability. Many v v average students get the places simply because their parents and tutors prepare them well. DG
bravado

Post by bravado »

Sorry to butt-in from Essex.

Don't be downhearted - after all your DD isn't and that's so important at this stage. :D

I always think it's an amazing show of strength when children are self-motivated in such a way. So many DC's have to be encouraged to do 11+ prep, with varying levels of unwillingness and lack of self-motivation. If your DD still feels confident, then in your shoes, I'd encourage her every step of the way and be there if (and let's hope this won't be the case) the outcome isn't what you hope for.
They all have a meltdown at some point and if you can, have a discussion with her about where she feels her strengths and weaknesses lie, in the light of doing mocks. Have a chat with her tutor and see if you can draw up a plan of action.

Good luck!
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

You might find this helpful...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =5&t=32784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

If she's willing, I would continue. My DD has come to enjoy her prep and it has had a big effect in her confidence at school and generally. Now I feel that no matter what the end point, it won't be wasted effort by any means.

Also she got 42 percent on her first test paper and couldn't finish in one hour plus got really cross, and 85% two months later in a harder paper happily finishing under time, with very casual prep in her worst subject. Now she asks me to get more for her to do, in all subjects. It's 90 percent attitude with us. Your job is to provide support and confectionary.
suchamuddle

Post by suchamuddle »

My DD took the exam last year and only got 183 in her mock. But in the exam she got 201 and is now due to start Devonport in September. So if she is happy then I would say keep going. Good luck
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now