VR and English test for Colyton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
russet

VR and English test for Colyton

Post by russet »

I have a few questions about the Colyton 11+ test and wondered if anyone could advise:

Are the 3 English sections timed individualy or are all the papers given together so if the student finished the comprehension early they could move on to the next section?

Is the comprehension multiple choice?

Is the punctuation multiple choice?

On the VR, what is the pass score? I know it is age weighted, so I'm just wanting a rough idea. What sort of level should dd be looking at on the GL assessment tests in order to have a good chance? At the moment dd is getting 66/85 (78%).
russet

Re: VR and English test for Colyton

Post by russet »

Bump.

Does anyone on this forum know the answer to any of these questions?
spider

Post by spider »

I don't know if how the timings work in the Colyton 11+ but if you look on the school's website it offers a link to practice papers which are multiple choice. The website also explains the admission system. There is no pass mark as it is a ranked system and is therefore dependent on the ability of the cohort applying in that year. Maths, verbal reasoning and English are tested and to 'pass' your child must rank in the top 120 for each of these papers. These children are considered to be in category A and should, in theory, all get a place. Children who pass two of the papers are also ranked (category B) and if there are any places available after the category A children have been offered places these children are offered places in rank order until the intake reaches 120. Children who don't pass at least 2 of the papers are not offered places. I suppose it would be possible for all the places to be taken by children who have passed all 3 papers but, i.e. they all were ranked in the top 120 for each paper but I don't think this has ever happened. I think usually around three-quarters of the children are ranked category A.
russet

Post by russet »

Thanks for your reply.
I think my main concern is my daughter being able to manage her time in the English test. If they just let them get on with all 3 sections in the 50 mins I would have to get her used to making sure she leaves the right amount of time for each section.
It is nice to know that if she does get into group B she will stand a chance.