Colyton Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pooplechair

Re: Colyton Results

Post by pooplechair »

Did he sit the Torquay exam? The results are due on, I think, Friday. At least, that's when the Girls' results are due (DD sat both the Colyton and Torquay tests, adopting a belt and braces approach). If he didn't sit the tests then you have a problem (although you could maybe contact them and see if you could do a late entry test?) The thing is though - all the cat B kids are in a really strong position. Some of them will be going to other schools (eg Torquay or one of the posh schools). Even if all the Cat A kids choose to go to Colyton, then there are still enough places for all but 16 of the Cat B kids. I think that's pretty good odds. And your son did very very well to be in Cat B.
mollygu

Post by mollygu »

hi Pooplechair ,thanks for reply
my son sat both the Colyton and Torquay tests.Maybe he can pass Torquay Tests.
I noted Torquay Boys GM fit Torbay-Common Appication Form , Colyton GM fit Devon - Common Application Form
It seemed good to us ,2 different appication area , is that mean I can appicate 2 shool at same time and no conflict ,I mean in Torbay offer Torquay boys ,and Doven offer Colyton Gm ? Am I right?
russet

Post by russet »

We got the confirmation letter for Colyton this morning. Hope others get the schools they were wanting.

If any in cat. B did not get a place it may be worth putting in an appeal as there may still be some who do not take up the place. (Just a thought as TBH, I don't know how these things work)
bestshot

Post by bestshot »

I notice that Colyton's Admissions Policy is going to be changed next year. They are going to be able to set the English pass mark themselves, as opposed to a strict 120 children like this year. I wonder what the reason is? Possibly a number of children who are very strong on maths and/or verbal reasoning that they do not want to lose, or possibly that they did not have enough Category A and B children this year to fill the 120 places?

There were only 136 children in Category A and B, so possible that there were not enough children who actually ended up applying for Colyton on the CAF? I wonder how many children on average do not apply on the CAF for whatever reason each year? I wonder what they've done if there weren't enough Category A and Category B children? The Admissions Policy states clearly that Category C children will not be admitted.

I imagine that there will be a few who decline the March 3rd offer, freeing up additional spaces for any Category B's who weren't offered a place (if there were any). Does anyone know any Category B's who have not been offered a place?
pooplechair

Post by pooplechair »

bestshot wrote:I notice that Colyton's Admissions Policy is going to be changed next year. They are going to be able to set the English pass mark themselves, as opposed to a strict 120 children like this year. I wonder what the reason is? Possibly a number of children who are very strong on maths and/or verbal reasoning that they do not want to lose, or possibly that they did not have enough Category A and B children this year to fill the 120 places?

There were only 136 children in Category A and B, so possible that there were not enough children who actually ended up applying for Colyton on the CAF? I wonder how many children on average do not apply on the CAF for whatever reason each year? I wonder what they've done if there weren't enough Category A and Category B children? The Admissions Policy states clearly that Category C children will not be admitted.

I imagine that there will be a few who decline the March 3rd offer, freeing up additional spaces for any Category B's who weren't offered a place (if there were any). Does anyone know any Category B's who have not been offered a place?
The change in the approach to the English test is to go back to how it used to be. They have stated that they set the marks to try and ensure that a broadly consistent number of children are in Cat A and Cat B (140). Last year there were about 95 Cat As and 50 Cat Bs, so it's not wildly different this year overall - last year 140 kids were qualified but there was a larger number of kids who could be certain of a place. I don't know any cat B's who weren't offered a place this year, but I only know one cat B kid! Last year, I did know cat B kids who were not offered a place.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't have 120 eligible applicants this year though. Realistically, the way the application works, you might as well apply if you are in cat B because it won't damage your eligibility for any other school. That's the point of an equal preference system.