How to identify what your child wants to be?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
omismum

How to identify what your child wants to be?

Post by omismum »

Hi everybody,
This forum is a great platform to share your concerns and getting views from others about many things.
I feel parenting is hardest thing in the world.
Thankyou all to be so supportive.

One of my friend was saying that they already have identified what her DS- year 7 wants to be and trying work towards it.Few other friends says the same thing about their kids...like which subject for GCSE and carrier.
My DD is of same age. When I tried to dig out ,she came with so many options. I mean she still doesn't know. Neither me.
She seems good in everything maths, English Science,Piano,Swimming,IT.

Am I being too impatient or?
How shall find it out?
any suggestions?

Thanks
stroudydad

Re: How to identify what your child wants to be?

Post by stroudydad »

Neither of mine in secondary have a clue what they want to be yet, though if my dd doesn't end up a teacher I'll eat a very large hat....
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Mine don't know either at 15 and 12. I didn't know until I was 21!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm 42 and still haven't decided!
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS1 (yr10) wants to do anything that involves rugby :? In other words he has no idea! DS2 (yr7) has wanted to be a vet since he was about 7, however he is vegetarian, allergic to cats etc and also things like grass and hay!

So basically no idea here either.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Mine are in reverse - DD (17) has decided. She thinks, although I think she will change her mind. DS1 (year 10) has no idea. DS2 (year 8) has known for years.

Relax. DD is on a completely different track from 2 years ago. The only real exception is if the want to be a doctor or vet it probably helps to know early on, but not imperative. And not in year 7.
scary mum
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I'm 42 and still haven't decided!
I'm with you!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I do a lot of careers fairs at schools for my employer.
A lot of students don't really know what they want to do, even the older ones.
My year 7 DD wants to own a bakery, as she loves baking and cooking and is quite good at it. Not keen on food tech though. :roll: because of the 'evaluations' she has to do afterwards.

Alternatively she wants to do something with horses, as long as it involves riding them and not necessarily looking after them.

I'm also saddened when parents have decided for their child what they should do, I can tell by the kids faces it isn't what they want.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I wonder how many of us are doing what we wanted to do and if we're still happy with our choices. I know I'm not really sure anymore. I don't mind what my kids do as long as it's legal, doesn't involve losing their integrity or trampling over others to get to where they think they ought to be.
ahap

Post by ahap »

My children keep changing it, so I don't know yet. Here are some examples below...
DD yr7 - designing little toys, Art, Astronaut, Doctor, Singer and Animator. (Currently she is not sure what she wants to be.)
DS - Police officer, Bob the builder, Astronaut and Prime minister at age 7 (because Mr. "Golden" Brown wasn't doing a good job about the dog poo on the road. He said he wants become one and give tougher penalties to owners of dogs who don't pick up after them. DS kept trampling on them each time to and from school, he tramples on it even after I warn him about it. No wonder he needed spectacles later. )He is in yr 8 now and the latest is a job of some sort to do with computers. So we are all in the same boat. It is good if they know what they want to do but lets give it a year or two or even more if it takes that long.
Last edited by ahap on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now