How to identify what your child wants to be?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginx

Re: How to identify what your child wants to be?

Post by ginx »

Sorry sb3. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Thanks for your help. I doubt she'd want a career in construction or anything, but you never know.

I haven't looked up the laws about driving, either. I bet it's a minefield.

Thank you, sb3. No offence meant. :wink:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hey, hey, southbucks3! Hold on to your pretty little hat, stop stamping your stiletto clad foot and don't chuck your beautiful handbag out of your pram!!! :wink:
Only if you promise to tell every girl you see that construction is the career for them kcc (in your retired professional capacity that is) I would love to think I could return to an industry where I would not need to carry antibacterial floorwipes just to use the site loo, and my own coffee cup that has not had mould growing in it for a week and wiped out on the bottom of a t shirt! As of last week, this was not the case :?

Only teasing ginx...but I may make it my mission to get little ginx in the porta - cabins now... just think, she would never buy a house built on top of unstable land, then wonder where her car is if a morning! Tonight's news...next village down from us, no way we would have bought a house there!
omismum

Post by omismum »

Wow we all are in the same boat.

I wanted to be astronaut ...but :)

Still question remains ,how to find it. Or just wait and watch.
Omismum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am raising my metaphorical trowel with my left hand and have my right on the hod as I solemnly swear to 'big up' the construction industry to pinks at every opportunity! I assume you were talking about the sink hole that swallowed a VW? I've heard of that happening in USA but was surprised about it here. Are they because of mining in days of yore or something?
ahap

Post by ahap »

omismum wrote:Wow we all are in the same boat.

I wanted to be astronaut ...but :)

Still question remains ,how to find it. Or just wait and watch.
Omismum
I would observe where her strong points are, her favourite subjects in a few years, subjects that she finds interesting and gets good results. Sometimes some children will be good at everything now, even in later years and your dd is doing fine now by your post. So just keep it up and they will develop an interest somehow, even if they don't they will have to for higher education and employment, just do what you are doing at the moment, observe her reports, talk to her teachers when the time comes and guide her. We can always ask on here when our time comes for choosing subjects whether it's for GCSEs or a levels. There will be more experienced mums and dads here to help us, so don't worry now. Take it easy.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Yes...local brickmaking industries had to get their clay from somewhere, so the dug big clay pits in walters ash. So really what turns around comes around, in a very true sense, as sooner or later something more than a garage(the last disaster) will sink, and the clay will be returned in the form of housebrick rubble.

I turned by son very pale when I told him our road was built on top of chalk mines, and sink holes in chalk mines are not unheard of. You can apparently gain access to the mines via a trap door in a near neighbours garden! Cool eh...I would deffo panic if my kids did not come hone on time and I lived in that house.

Ds1 has now decided he wants to be a demolition expert...He looked a bit forlorn when I told him he would need a level physics and maths and an engineering degree...bless him.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahap

Post by ahap »

:lol: :lol:
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I haven't looked up the laws about driving, either. I bet it's a minefield.
You have to renew your licence every 3 years, the questionnaire asks stupid things like 'have you had a hypo in the past year?' and you also have to give permission for your doctor's notes to be released to the DVLA. Whether they ever contact one's GP, I'm not sure – Herman…??

DS is currently learning to drive and I make him do a blood sugar test every time before he goes out. Unfortunately there have been instances when someone has driven without testing and/or without carrying sweets or glucose tablets and has ended up causing an accident.

With regard to employment restrictions, paramedic is another no-no, sadly, because you won't a get a licence to drive an ambulance.
The article you quoted suggests that if not asked, not to say you have diabetes until you've been offered the job.
Ginx the reason for this is because you wouldn't be able to prove that you had been turned down for the job on account of your diabetes; they could just say you weren't the best candidate. If you are offered the job first they can't later withdraw the offer without falling foul of the legislation.

The only time anyone in my family has had to play the Equality Act (or DDA as it then was) card was when DD's primary school started saying she couldn't play in concerts or go to sports matches at other schools because they didn't have the staff to cover it. We had to politely(ish) point out that that was a problem they needed to address in an alternative way than preventing her attending. No such problems at either of their secondary schools :D

Sorry, SB3, neither of my two look likely to go into engineering or construction either!
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Rob CLark, for so much info. My daughter is pretty sensible - most of the time. Today is one of those days when I hate diabetes. She went to bed and is very high, another night of two hour testing. No idea why.

Off topic, sorry. But dd will be good at something and I know she will not let diabetes stand in her way. Perhaps not in construction!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Well, the allergic, vegetarian who wants to be a vet child is very good at lego :? Perhaps I should steer him towards construction instead :lol: