How to identify what your child wants to be?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: How to identify what your child wants to be?

Post by doodles »

Don't worry SB I always wanted to own a knitting shop :lol:

I knew what I wanted to do at 17, was dissuaded and after Uni qualified as a chartered cs and spent too long in a stressful job I really disliked but which was very well paid (the 80's trap!) I took the opportunity to retrain 9 years ago and earn a lot less but enjoy what I do.

My advice would be to think outside the box, there are so many more opportunities these days and, thankfully, the stay in the company until you retire mentality is not as prevalent as it used to be. We will certainly be encouraging our DS's to follow their interests even if they don't lead them to be traditional "profession".
ahap

Post by ahap »

Yamin151 wrote:
ahap wrote:One of my uncle retired as an Inspector General (IG) at age 60 and then studied again and now works as a lawyer.
Wow! :o
I know ... I am in awe too, being a police officer all his life itself would have been a demanding job and now this...whereas I want to retire soon and sit under a coconut tree on a beach for 100 days please and thereafter be a full time homemaker. :mrgreen:
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Ds 1 (year 9) hasn't really any idea although says an accountant when asked ( because it's maths based).

Ds 2 (year 7) has said he's wanted to be a policeman for the last couple of years but has started to waiver a bit, or out in other options. Eg baker ( baker, not chef).

Dc 1 is about to choose options. In the options meeting, we were told that if they had a career in mind, to look at uni prospectuses to see what exams were necessary to pursue that career. Fortunately, ds1 is going to do a good spread of subjects. Also, they are going to take a career personality test ( not sure what it's called) to see what careers would suit their attributes and interests. I'm looking forward to the results.

(I wanted to be a teacher of deaf children when growing up. I completed two thirds of my one year PGCE course and realised teaching wasn't for me. I've never regretted giving the course up).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I keep in touch with quite a few people I was at school with via an FB group - we left school over 35 years ago :oops: ahem. few of us ended up with careers directly related to the degree we did and many had had career changes.

Even those who definitely knew what they wanted to do, often ended up successfully doing something else. Some of us are heading for yet another change!!

I think when you are at school, you simply don't know what career X really is like, you can do work experience but that is a snapshot, not the training and the day to day work etc etc .
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Out of interest, hermanmunster, did you always want to be a doctor?
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

scary mum wrote:Out of interest, hermanmunster, did you always want to be a doctor?
just thinking about that.. I wanted to be a nuclear physicist or astronomer when I was younger, but re medicine was ultimately swept along by others enthusiasm.

That's the "being good at science" and "oh wonderful she wants to be a doctor" wave, so not sure if it was ever really my idea, :shock: just found myself doing it - ridiculous as was always squeamish. :lol: :lol:

Made me very careful to encourage the kids if they were interested in something but ultimately let them do what they want.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Brum Mum wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:I'm 42 and still haven't decided!
I'm with you!
and me - although sadly no longer 42 :)

DD has wanted to be a vet for the last 4 years - but an exotic animal vet and work in zoos. I am supportive but am really hoping she changes her mind or broadens her options. Still it does give me an opportunity to stress from an early age that she has to work hard at school if she wants to have a chance at this.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

ginx wrote: In my opinion she should be a physio therapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, but I have no idea of pushing her into anything. .
think that a speech therapist is a wonderful job - would be delighted if DD wanted to be a speech therapist. At the moment DD wants to be a child psychiatrist - a slightly worrying choice at 9!

Above all, and very important to me, I would like DD to pursue which ever career she could whilst also having kids. I had to give up my career due to incompatible working hours and infrequent travelling abroad.
Last edited by SleepyHead on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

So nice to hear all these level headed replies. Sometimes reading this forum you get the impression all parents decide their children will pursue careers in medicine or law before they have even been born...which can only lead to misery, resentment and disappointment in most cases

Asked the boys today, I have a farmer, a vet/train driver/footballer and a dunno.(New vocation otherwise known as being a lazy arsed teenager)

The only one I think will pursue his idea is the farmer, although at the moment he is as scared of cows as I am :lol:
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

The last time I asked DS, he wanted to work in McDonalds as "it looks fun" :shock: Other times he's wanted to be a professional drift car driver, racing car driver, astronaut or a scientist so he can discover time travel or "whatever it is you do Mum" :lol:

I don't think I'll ask again...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now