How to identify what your child wants to be?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Thingsbehindthesun

Re: How to identify what your child wants to be?

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

When I was around 7 I already knew what my parents wanted me me to say :lol: but I wanted to be a farmer/ vet / doctor/ comic book artist rolled into one.

I absolutely loved geography in secondary school but it may have been that my teacher was fab and gave us stickers, so I put more effort into my reports and homework ; but I ended up with a science degree and now work for a London university.
omismum

Post by omismum »

Thanks ahap , kenyancowgirl and all of you.
Recent news in my journey....

My younger son who is 6 wants to be fisherman..
(I am pulling my hair)
:cry: :cry: :cry:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Well my youngest wants to be a pirate! I suggested he might have meant sailor and he accepted. (Maybe I can guide him into aiming for Captain? Not that I am pushy or anything :wink:)

Seriously though, my eldest is 13 years and doesn't have any idea or give it any thought. He never had any far-fetched ambitions when he was younger either. He is a simple soul so I expect it will end up being something to do with food (he loves food) or computers (he loves them too), but I will give him a few years before I bother him about it.

DS2 wanted to be a racing car driver but changed his mind after skating down the garden slide and snapping his arm in two. Now in secondary school, he sometimes mentions wanting to be a doctor but I try to play that down and hope it goes away. If he goes down that route, I don't want even a hint of blame to fall in my lap in the future.

I always wanted to be an archaeologist. I was adamant until my teacher sat me down with my father and told me this was for rich folk.
UmSusu
Kit

Post by Kit »

Amber wrote:
Shame this is buried in Devon... Nothing against it - but maybe deserving of a wider audience, this topic?
Hey- we're not ALL farmers down here! :lol:

I'm going through this at the moment with my sixth form DD. She wants to do Medicine, but I worry that it is more a default "respected profession" every teenager has heard of, ideal for those who are good at science with a string of A* at GCSE, rather than a burning ambition at this stage.

I'd like her to consider other options, but the trouble is Neither she nor I know what else is available these days beyond research scientist, teacher, doctor etc. in science.

She did a questionnaire at school, but one of the options it suggested was librarian, not her at all, so I don't think it was much use.

Any career ideas for a sciencey, creative, artistic person who wants to travel??
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Research analyst in the food, animal food or pharmaceutical industry? Opportunities for travel, looking at farming methods, alternative crops etc.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Don't know what made me think of this

http://www.botany.org/bsa/careers/car-why.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P.s. So very disappointed to hear you are not all farmers in devon. Another happy stereotype bites the dust. You'll be telling me next they don't all keep pigeons in Lancashire! :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Kit wrote:
Amber wrote:
Shame this is buried in Devon... Nothing against it - but maybe deserving of a wider audience, this topic?
Hey- we're not ALL farmers down here! :lol:

I'm going through this at the moment with my sixth form DD. She wants to do Medicine, but I worry that it is more a default "respected profession" every teenager has heard of, ideal for those who are good at science with a string of A* at GCSE, rather than a burning ambition at this stage.

I'd like her to consider other options, but the trouble is Neither she nor I know what else is available these days beyond research scientist, teacher, doctor etc. in science.

She did a questionnaire at school, but one of the options it suggested was librarian, not her at all, so I don't think it was much use.

Any career ideas for a sciencey, creative, artistic person who wants to travel??
Engineering? Definitely room for creatively, if you pick the right one and the right industry. Definitely chance to travel. All the grads at our place are actively encouraged to go on assignments. As a grad DH went to Indonesia and Norway.

The careers teacher at DDs school said much the same about medicine. It is what every bright girl good at science immediately thinks of and she wishes they had more imagination.
Last edited by Tinkers on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I like the fact that there are many more collaborations among scientists to try to solve problems these days. An example is the new Francis Crick Institute, which I think sounds amazing!

http://www.crick.ac.uk/the-institute/in ... e-science/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my opinion, a good maths or science degree will set you up for any number of interesting careers, without needing to be too specific at 18 (but perhaps I'm a bit biased...!).
ginx

Post by ginx »

I wanted to be a writer :lol:

Forget your science degrees, Mills & Boon here I come!

Do you think English and humanity degrees are worth anything?

Maybe good for teaching?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Oh dear, dare I step in? Ba honours in humanities, english and film studies. Not vocational but then neither is classics or theology! And I ended up, yes, ended up, in medical sales, where I earned extremely handsomely and happily for 18 years, until becoming stay at home mum. I guess that these less vocational or professional degrees are useful to show you are able to study and learn, but they assume you have the nowse to decide on your career and pursue it without a well trodden path. I guess it depends on personality and ambition/drive.