Three year sixth form at Colyton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

suedonim

Three year sixth form at Colyton

Post by suedonim »

Does anyone know what is happening about this now that the January exams are being abolished? We wouldn't send our child to Colyton if it continues but might if they revert to a standard sixth form.
happymum

Re: Three year sixth form at Colyton

Post by happymum »

My son is currently in the sixth form at Colyton and as far as I'm aware, there are no plans to revert it back to two years.
suedonim

Post by suedonim »

Thank you. We'll look to other schools then since we know too many people for whom the early GSCE/ 3 year sixth form has caused problems.
happymum

Post by happymum »

That's quite interesting, as I've not met anyone whose child encountered problems with the current format.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

suedonim wrote:Thank you. We'll look to other schools then since we know too many people for whom the early GSCE/ 3 year sixth form has caused problems.
That's Interesting , suedonim, because many parents have chosen CGS for the EXACT reason that it offers an early GCSE/3-year 6th form programme.

Over the last 3 years, my wife and I met many CGS parents on different occasions at different places : Open Days, New Student Welcoming Day, Teacher-Parents Meeting, picking up/dropping off at school car park, school functions, library, private coffee mornings etc. etc., they told us how their children got an offer/being accepted by Oxbridge for medicine, natural science, maths etc., got an offer/being accepted by Birmingham/Brighton & Sussex/Newcastle medical schools etc., and others being accepted by Universities in Russel Group.

They (and new parents) also told us there's no point in wasting another year in GCSE when their children finding GCSE not challenging enough, and their children wanting to 'get on with' 4-5 A level subjects a.s.a.p.

I'm sure your girl is bright and can get into whatever grammar school you've in mind.

(Below please find a 5-year admission rate for Oxbridge, sent to me by a CGS parent who has since left the school after her child, yes, being accepted by Cambridge, +http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/E ... bridge.pdf)

Good Luck.

Best wishes
Average Dad
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the concern over 3 year 6th forms is that some universities are looking for A levels done over a 2 year period only - can cause problems if some are done early ...kid may have 5 A levels over 3 years say but the Uni will only be interested in three doen wholly within the last 2 years. Has been a problem for some doing maths A level early and still having to find several As in other of their less favoured subjects.
happymum

Post by happymum »

Only a handful of universities actually discriminate against 3 year A levels.
Kit

Post by Kit »

Last edited by Kit on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
suedonim

Post by suedonim »

The major issue is the number of pupils who make a poor choice of A level subjects and then find they have to change track. There were a large number of pupils leaving at 16 to start A level again at other schools, although the 2013 intake seem to have had fewer leavers.

Another problem with a 3 year sixth form is that medical schools do not like it. There are some medical schools where Colyton pupils will not be offered places. Of course there are others they can attend because most schools will not hold it against the student that their school has a unique approach. The 19 students on a gap year will include those reapplying for medicine.

There is a substantial body of academic research showing that pupils who take early GSCEs are less successful (see, for example http://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/e ... ses-early/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Colyton gets good results because it takes the brightest young people, but those without a full set of A* grades might have achieved more A* grades with more maturity. Taking GSCE early is not in the best interests of young people, that is why the league tables are being changed to exclude GSCE retakes.

The brightest students succeed at any school and Colyton takes many of the brightest students. It doesn't make it a good school.
russet

Post by russet »

OK I'm confused.
Suedonim, you say
There is a substantial body of academic research showing that pupils who take early GSCEs are less successful

And in the link given it says
In fact, there is some evidence to suggest that students who entered GCSE Maths early are more likely to do well in A Level Maths and Science.

The articles seems to suggest there is a balance of advantages and disadvantages in taking GCSE's early. Therefore it is for parents to consider what they think would be best suited to their child before applying.