Can children sit the exam for both Colyton and Torquay?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Petunia

Can children sit the exam for both Colyton and Torquay?

Post by Petunia »

Since the Colyton and Torquay tests are scheduled for the same day, is it not possible for children to sit for both?
hermanmunster

Re: Can children sit the exam for both Colyton and Torquay?

Post by hermanmunster »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... on-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Admission Information for September 2016 entry

The school’s admission procedure is currently under consultation, therefore finalised details have not been released to the public. For more information on their consultation, please click here

The CGS admissions website states that ’parents should note that Colyton Grammar School, in collaboration with the three grammar schools in Torbay, namely Torquay Boys’ Grammar, Torquay Girls’ Grammar and Churston Ferrers Grammar, and Bishop Wordsworth School for Boys, Salisbury, will operate a co-ordinated entrance examination, with all students taking the same main tests on the same days.
Petunia

Post by Petunia »

Thanks for the reply. I don't quite understand what 'co-ordinated entrance examination' means. Does that mean that children take the test once but the scores will count for all grammar schools listed?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Petunia wrote:Thanks for the reply. I don't quite understand what 'co-ordinated entrance examination' means. Does that mean that children take the test once but the scores will count for all grammar schools listed?
In Essex you get one score, standardised against the whole cohort who took the exam, and that is the score used by any of the 11 schools in the Consortium to which you apply. In Gloucestershire, you specify in advance which of the schools you wish your child's raw score to be shared with and a separate standardised score is calculated for the 'sub-cohort' for each school. Presumably your local consortium will publish details as to how scores will be used by the member schools.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

Petunia wrote:Since the Colyton and Torquay tests are scheduled for the same day, is it not possible for children to sit for both?
Unfortunately I suspect not since, firstly, the dates clash and the Colyton website talks of "the test day" whereas TGGS and TBGS spread their tests over two consecutive Saturdays, CEM wk1 and English & Maths wk2 (i.e. every candidate attends for both days, not half one week and half the next). Secondly, TGGS and TBGS and Churston Ferrers collaboratively set and mark the English and Maths tests themselves, so I doubt that they are appropriate to Colyton.

It seems that the Torbay and Colyton tests are "different animals".
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now