Harder than before...more questions and less time...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
twinmum2001

Harder than before...more questions and less time...

Post by twinmum2001 »

My Daughter came out saying how hard the exam was yesterday- more questions and less time.

Anyone else found the DHSG/PHSG Exam harder than expected?
learningcurve

Re: Harder than before...more questions and less time...

Post by learningcurve »

DD had not mentioned that there were more questions in less time yesterday. However, I've just asked and she has confirmed that there were ............. (compared to the 50 in 50). She didn't find the content any more difficult though. Not so sure she will be so confident if they do the same next week as she already struggles with the time element in maths. x

[Edited by moderator - please do not reveal any aspect of test content.]
mevans

Post by mevans »

My daughter said the same thing, ................., and she didn't get all the questions answered!!!! We were expecting 50 in 50 mins, which was the format in the mock exam, and i have to say i think it is wrong that the children sat a different format paper from the one they did in the mock, they are only 10 years old and this has been a challenging process for them, they should at least know how many questions and how much time they have, so they can be ready mentally!

So now what about the maths paper will this be different? what do i tell my daughter?

[Edited by moderator]
erisindevon

Post by erisindevon »

DD2 did mention the difference in number and timings when she came out on Saturday, but she still felt it went okay. The maths will be the trickier one for her - timing is always tight on the practice papers, with the last few often guesses.

We went along to the PHSG open evening [again] last night, as DD2 is still undecided about schools. I think she's leaning toward Plymouth High over Devonport. Hopefully she'll have a good enough mark to be able to choose!
twinmum2001

Post by twinmum2001 »

I think that is where we would like our DD's to be...to have a choice.

My DD too will fine the timing tight anyway for the Math's and that will be if it is 50 questions in 50 Mins...if they lower the time and increase the questions again it will probably finish her! Trying to keep her positive and give her some self belief.

Fingers crossed and good luck to youx
learningcurve

Post by learningcurve »

Apologies to mods. I have only just noticed my reply has been edited (despite returning to the site regularly ). Admittedly , I was being a tad naïve as I didn't consider the information 'revealing' when I was typing as it was not about content. I can see now however that it is still 'too much info'. Sorry x

Hope the other parents have not found the waiting too arduous ...Nearly there....Good luck to all xx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now