Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: colyton catchment
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:39 pm 
I'm not expecting much of a reply - looking at the number and frequency of the posts in the Devon Forum - however, we may well be moving down from London to take a post in Exeter in the near future. How wide is the 'catchment' for Colyton?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:38 pm 

think you will have to ask the school how far out they have offered in previous years,
there is no specific catchment they just offer kids who have passed on the basis of straight line distance from the school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:09 pm 

Hi,
Re Colyton. I have a relative who attended this school and lived quite a distanmce outside what I would have considered their catchment area. The school has a brilliant reputation - so be sure to contact them as soon as possible to request a copy of their admissions policy etc. Have you looked at their web site? Good luck with your application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:44 pm 
Hi Guest
Re your enquiry about Colyton, I know of a few people that stick their children on the bus to send them to Colyton from Exeter. Distance from school no problem if your child doesn't mind windy roads and the length of time it takes - the big problem is getting into the school as its sooooo over-subscribed and of a very high standard.

Good luck - report back soon.

Post subject: Colyton catchment
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:25 am 

I don't know if the OP is still interested, but my child is at Colyton and in her year I know there are quite a few children from Exeter, also as far east as Dorchester and north as Taunton so up to around a 30-35 mile radius. Most however seem to live within a 10 mile radius of the school, as journey times make for a very long school day much beyond this (Devon miles!)

There used to be an official catchment area but this is no longer the case. However, your child will qualify for free school transport if he/she lives within the old catchment area, which is definitely worth having!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:42 am 

You may wish to visit the Independent Schools section where a whole can of worms has been opened up about Colyton requesting reports from teachers re prospective pupils!