COLYTON INFORMATION PLEASE!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tintin

Post by tintin »

Thanks for the good wishes! We were disappointed but have picked ourselves up and have a great second choice lined up! Hope everyone else gets the school of their choice. :D
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

It was a no for us too, so DC was a bit disappointed, but luckily we too have a fine second option, so I think it's the right outcome in the long run. Well done to all who were successful, it's a fantastic achievement!
Mj
northernsoul

Post by northernsoul »

sorry to hear that tt and mj but thankfully you have excellent alternatives. good luck to your DCs.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Thanks, Northernsoul - presume were you successful???
Mj
moosh

Post by moosh »

commiserations to all those whose DC's didn't get in (including me!). Congrats to all those lucky enough to have passed. DS very disappointed but on the up side at least we now know. In some ways the waiting was actually worse than the news itself!

Does anyone have any thoughts on any other second choices
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

moosh wrote: Does anyone have any thoughts on any other second choices
It depends where you are really.

To the East, if you're staying in the state sector Woodroffe School in Lyme has an excellent reputation and the clifftop location is sooo beautiful. I don't know the Head, but there are some very wise governors there. In many ways it is a better school than Colyton - certainly shouldn't be regarded as second best.

To the North there are four excellent indies in the Taunton/Wellington area, at least two of which offer 100% bursaries, at least one of which usually has an entrance exam in March/April. Two of these are IGCSE schools - well worth checking out.

To the South it is rather wet :lol: .

To the West all I'll say (and I'm bound to be attacked for this) is beware! The Leather lady sends her daughter to Exeter School - though under a different name of course :roll: .

Good luck!
Loopy
pilchard

Post by pilchard »

I'd second Loopylou. Woodroffe has a great reputation and I have 2 friends with a child at each school (Colyton and Woodroffe). I'd say the Woodroffe children are very happy and achieving well. The Colyton children are doing superbly well, but are feeling more pressured.

If you're in the 'county set' then Blundells is the obvious choice. I'm missing something here, but the 'Leather lady' has confused me! I'm definitely not attacking schools to the West of here (or Loopylou for that matter!), but their reputations, both academic and pastoral aren't as good.

If it's any consolation to those parents who've received a 'No' letter, the feedback that I'm getting from a lot of local parents is that they got 'No' letters too. I only know of 2 children locally out of about 12 that I knew taking the exam that have passed. At least 2 of those that failed were, imho absolute certs to pass. Doesn't change the outcome, but may help a bit. :wink:
moosh

Post by moosh »

Thanks Loopy and Pilchard. Woodroff wrong area for us. Loopy Lou would be interested to know which of the Taunton/Wellington schools offering 100% bursaries any info gratefully received.

We also do not know anyone who passed this year. Four of DS friends took exam and at least two were told by school that they were 'almost certain to pass'.

Doesn't make it feel any better of course but at least DS doesn't feel quite so alone. Would have been worse if they had all passed and he hadn't. Have just told DS that perhaps it wasn't the right school for him after all and we shall soon find the 'one'. - (I hope)!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Taunton School and Wellington School both offer (and actually have children with) bursaries of 100%, although they don't advertise it and they will of course expect you to pay what they think you can afford. Taunton is basically a 13+ entry so it would be Taunton Prep, maybe they reserve the bursaries for the senior school, I don't know. Wellington is 11+.

Timing is against you since both schools have already held their main entrance exams, but Wellington tend to hold a second sitting around Easter, there's no harm in asking.

Best wishes to all :D .
Loopy
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

we know several who sat, and nothing to choose between those who got a place and those who didn't - just stiff competition
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now