which test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dee735

which test

Post by dee735 »

Sorry, am sure this question has been covered a million times...

What test do they use for Parkstone Grammar and how long do people generally have a tutor for.

Also
I am out of catchment and maybe someone can answer, are they taking admissions from the age of 11? or 13?

My little girl is about to join year 5 and really don't want to miss the boat! having just nmissed out on a place at our locaish middle school

Thanks for your help
paula

Post by paula »

Two tests at PGS- verbal reasoning and non verbal reasoning. Both multiple choice version. School recommends Nfer as practise. My daughter felt the tests were harder than the practise papers though.
Poole gives priority to girls who attend Poole middle schools. Was it a Poole middle you just missed out on?
Some girls are tutored for up to a year before the tests. My DD had about 8 weeks of tutoring in the run up to the test in Nov but we had been practising at home before.
Testing is currently at 12+ but is due to change for admissions in 2013 to 11+
The admission department at the school are very helpful and may well be more able to answer your questions
dee735

Post by dee735 »

Thankyou Paula for your swfit reply!

No it wasn't a poole middle school she didnt get into.

There is a child in the next village who joined Parkstone last year, so I live in hope and pray my daughter can come up with the goods...

we have such little options for secondary schools where I live, that we have to give this our best shot...

lots of time to prepare though
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

We started with a tutor in June for the exam in November, and doing VR one week, NVR the next. The tutor seems pretty confident about DD passing the 11+, but not so confident about getting a place. If DD does pass, then it's very likely that we'll have to go to appeal as the school is massively oversubscribed, we're out of catchment, and we have no alternative. It's go for grammar or be stuck with a second-rate upper school.
:(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now