Urgent Advice Needed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
happy123

Urgent Advice Needed

Post by happy123 »

Hi, I'm looking for some urgent advice about my daughter. She's an August birthday so is the youngest in her class and up to fairly recently has always been in the mid range of her class. She seems to have had a bit of a spurt and got all 5's in her SATS ( 2 5b's and 1 5 c). We've discounted the Grammar School until now thinking she wasn't really up to it, but her maths is excellent and her teacher says she's the best at times tables in her class. My question is, is she likely to pass the test given what I know about her SATs results, and if so, is it too late to start practising. I feel so confused and unsure of what to do. I'd really appreciate some guidance if anyone can help me.
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

You could always try a couple of practice papers and see how she gets on.
But I'd go with whatever your gut instinct is telling you.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi happy123, and welcome to the forum! When is the 11+ in your area? Have the school given you any info on it at all?
Milla

Post by Milla »

she's clearly clever so the next thing to do is .... Don't Panic!
Take some time to establish the format of the exams and more immediately, WHEN you have to apply - for instance in our region you would already have missed the date and in some regions the actual exams. So, tomorrow morning get onto your school and arm yourself with some facts. (sorry outrage downstairs, have to go and sort out vile offspring)
Meanwhile ... never say never.
happy123

Post by happy123 »

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies. The local grammar school to us is Parkstone Grammar School. Her school at at the moment isn't particularly interested in the Grammar School, they don't seem interested in giving advice. That seems to be the same for other parents i've spoken to. I'm going to try and get hold of some of the NFER tests and see how she gets on. Am I ready for the ride? I don't know. Here goes!!!
Milla

Post by Milla »

if you're in the state system, they rarely are! Hence a lot of the anxiety, the tutoring (to catch up with the indies who not only acknowledge it but cater for it)
Good luck!
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

Hi!
Are you in catchment? This makes a huge difference, especially this year as the catchment has changed to include all Borough of Poole residents( who pay their Council Tax to Poole.) Your daughter sounds bright and I have heard in previous years of girls who have passed who have done no practice at all! Good Luck
happy123

Post by happy123 »

Hi, yes we are in catchment so hopefully that helps matters. I'm going to buy some test papers and then see how she gets on!!! She's keen to give it a go so I guess we've got nothing to lose.
Thanks again