Bournemouth boys school results out

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Explorer

Bournemouth boys school results out

Post by Explorer »

we just received the results and my son got eligible in the tests.

Letter saying;

Qualifying marks are : 295 and 200 were qualified : 150 seats are available

My son got : 338 and we are staying outside school catchment.

What's the last year cut off score?

what are the chances for my son to get place in BSB if we keep this as 1st preference in CAF?
BLT

Re: Bournemouth boys school results out

Post by BLT »

Congratulations to your son, Explorer!

I'm wondering the same thing as you.

Given the eligible mark is 295 and the average was 298, can anyone out there give us an educated guess on
(i) the score required for top 120 automatic places
(ii) the score required for *in-catchment* next tranche and
(iii) the score required for *out-of-catchment* final tranche?

Would really appreciate help here. Then maybe I'll be able to concentrate on some work :)
MrsK40

Post by MrsK40 »

Congratulations Explorer and BLT, the cut off marks will vary depending on the distribution curve of all the scores. The NFER website explains the 'bell curve' of distribution really well. If the distribution is normal then a score of 338 should be in the top 120, Explorer. :D There are other factors involved too, for example once the scores go to the local authority, and they apply the over subscription rules, the list could move a little eg, looked after children are given priority, and some boys may have applied for more than one school, so they may not apply to Bournemouth if they prefer their other school.

Helpful? Thank goodness it's all over, my DS is relieved we now know how he did.
Mammapie

Post by Mammapie »

Can anybody advise how this mark of 295 translates to standardised scores?
Is this score an aggregate of the three tests?
What weight is put on the essay?
I hope that my son will do the 11 plus next year so I am trying to find out what I can now.
Any advice very gratefully received!
BLT

Post by BLT »

Hi Mammapie,

Not sure what you mean by standardised scores. Can anyone else help?

The score is an aggregate of the three tests (English, Maths and Verbal Reasoning).

My son scored 330 and that was enough. We live in-catchment. I don't know where the cut-off was set but clearly it was somewhere between 295 and 330. I'm sure someone could make an estimate based on eligible score / average score / number passed . . . it's beyond me though :oops:

Good question on the essay. We didn't receive any feedback which is slightly frustrating because it was a strength we focussed on in the preparation. Perhaps it's used for borderline cases.

Best of luck later this year.