Help with score calculation please!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chimera-ma

Re: Help with score calculation please!

Post by chimera-ma »

You know more about the format of the old-style Kent Test than I do, Mystery, and I'm no mathematician, but is it the case that if one test has a smaller number of questions than another, that bunching of scores towards the median will be greater, so that after conversion to standard scores, there are more individuals sharing the same ranking on scores close to 100?

Or is it the Test in the new format being harder that has caused scores to bunch more at lower levels than previously?

Since the 'grammar suitable' standardised cut-off went down from 120 to 106 when the Kent Test format changed, but the percentage of top performers to be captured remained the same, it must be for one or both of these reasons surely?

Hopefully, there is a Statistician out there who can explain it in lay terms... for the benefit of forum members in other regions as well?

PS If you follow the link in my earlier post, it's the NFER sample table of standardised scores and percentiles that I was looking at in particular, since the bell graph would be the same for any test following standardisation (I think).
mystery

Re: Help with score calculation please!

Post by mystery »

Didn't realise we'd gone to Dorset. It really does puzzle me Chimera-ma. I might set a mathematician friend of mine on an investigation! I think the answer is probably something to do with the population on which the test is standardised etc - national,Kent, or those sitting the test.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now