Not long to wait...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chablisfiend

BSG or Parkstone??

Post by Chablisfiend »

Hi Paula,

The thing is, I will only find out if we have been offered the "first choice" which was BSG. At the time of applying last year, we lived in New Milton which comes under Hampshire LEA, but I think this is the same for all LEA's? My understanding is that I will get a letter next week which will say either Yes you got your first choice - or no you didn't, if I didn't then it will tell me if I got the second choice (Parkstone) and so on and so forth.
From what DD has told me though - I think she stands a better chance of getting into BSG as she is convinced she "fluffed" Parkstone due to NVR. She sailed through the VR but left out about 6 I think in NVR and said the rest were "really hard". At Bournemouth however, it was only VR, Maths and English - so she was a lot happier with that and finished it all/checked it and had time to spare (not sure if this is a good or bad sign!!!).
Regarding if I had a choice between the two - I think they are pretty much a muchness, I visited both, liked both (for different reasons), their results are very similar etc etc. However, we now live in Wallisdown and I work at Avonbourne Girls School in BH7 so from a distance point of view, BSG would be better as I can drop her off/pick her up on my way to and from my job at Avonbourne. However, even if we are lucky enough to get a grammar school place at all, I think I will telephone Parkstone next week just to find out if she "passed" or not, I don't think I will tell DD I am doing this - just want to find out for myself really. I am so so nervous now about next week, feel sick about it. This is the next 5 years (maybe 7) of DD's life so is really important!
How is everyone else feeling?
paula

Post by paula »

Feel pretty confident one minute and nervous and anxious the next! Just worried cos DD really wants to go and don't know how I'll cope if she's disappointed. Sometimes wonder if this is all worth it when our local comp is excellent. My friend Chardonnay will hold my hand over the next few days and see me through!
meagain

Post by meagain »

Hi everyone. One more day to go!! I've been waking up early for the last few days no doubt due to this horrible wait. Managed to keep busy at the weekend and DD is in high spirits. I think because all her school friends have been saying to her that she'll get in easily - I've reminded her that it depends on a number of factors and I think she appreciates this but is still excited/nervous. If she doesn't get BSG then we will be hoping for Avonbourne but are way out of catchment so would be very surprised if, when we open the letter, it says 'Avonbourne'. I think at least it would bring a half smile though.
Anyway, positive thinking! Good luck to all of us hoping for BS and BSG. Whatever the result, I'm sure all the work put in will stand them in good stead for the next stage of their education wherever that may be.
paula

Post by paula »

OH has just spoken to Parkstone and they will be posting their offer letters out today by 1st class post -only one more day to wait.
meagain

Post by meagain »

Sorry Paula, meant to say good luck to eveyone waiting for BS, BSG and Parkstone! Forgot you were gunning for Parkstone.
Posty won't arrive till this afternoon for me but DD has asked me not to open the letter as she wants to...arhhhh!
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

We're thinking of applying for Parkstone this year, so will be in your situation next March and can't say I'm looking forward to it. So for all those awaiting results today - the very best of luck to you all. I can feel the tension from here!
Chablisfiend

DD got in!

Post by Chablisfiend »

Hi - ive not been able to get to a computer for a few days (recently moved and don't have broadband at home yet!).
My daughter got offered a place at BSG which I am thrilled about. We went out to Bella Italia with helium balloons last night to celebrate! I also found out that she passed the Parktstone exam which was second choice. She got 128 and the passmark was 116.
How did everyone else get on?
Regards
Chablisfiend :D :D :D
scarymary

Re: DD got in!

Post by scarymary »

Chablisfiend wrote:...I also found out that she passed the Parktstone exam which was second choice. She got 128 and the passmark was 116.
How did everyone else get on?
Regards
Chablisfiend :D :D :D
Well done to your daughter to pass by such a margin.

I'd love to know what sort of scores the out-of-catchment girls had to achieve to get offered a place.
meagain

Post by meagain »

Well done Chablisfiend! Was waiting to hear of your success! We were celebrating at Nandos and DD filled the basket at Tesco Express with chocolates and cream too! Also, a few of her best friends got a place so turned out really well for us. I think it's probably a good thing they don't give out scores for BSG for successful applicants - although I think I have an idea of how she did. Also I don't think think they stream at BSG where as at the boys they are in sets for Maths and languages. Surprised at BSG they teach in mixed abilities (I think). I guess because all students are already in the top academically.
Anyway, roll on September. Have you received anything from the school itself yet? BS give out welcome packs straight away with uniform list etc - not had anything from BSG yet? Maybe will arrive a bit later.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now