Sixth forms with CCF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Sixth forms with CCF

Post by Minesatea »

Can anyone recommend any sixth forms in north essex or south suffolk with a CCF and thus experience of DC applying for officer entry to Navy/RAF at 18.
marigold

Re: Sixth forms with CCF

Post by marigold »

KEGS has an excellent CCF ( but is it Mid rather than North Essex ?) Girls from CCHS are also allowed to join.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

If you type your post code into this website it will show you schools with CCF.

http://combinedcadetforce.org.uk/find-us/map-search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That said as fewer than 300 schools have CCF (most of which are independent schools), you will find other schools still have experience of officer entry. It may be worth contacting your local army recruitment office and talking to them? They possibly know which schools typically have pupils joining up.
KB

Post by KB »

Its not state but Ipswich School has strong CCF history. Lower down the school there are scholarships and bursaries but don't know about 6th form.
fausto

Post by fausto »

Woodbridge School has a very strong CCF - but it is probably a litttle too far away.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks for the link Ladymuck. Unfortunately nothing nearby state school wise. Royal hospital School would be closest Indi. Interestingly neither KEGS or The Ipswich school show on that map?
Woodbridge is too far. Ipswich and KEGS probably similar distance.
Which is easier to commute to from Colchester, KEGS or CCHS? Is one closer to the station?
marigold

Post by marigold »

I clicked on the link and KEGS, Felsted and Brentwood came up using my CM2 post code. KEGS is about three minutes from the station and CCHS about five.
My son was in the CCF from year 8 until this term, it is run by a fantastic team and I do remember someone from KEGS going off to join the army from there at 18 a few years ago.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

How odd, CO4 just offers St Josephs and The Royal Hospital school!

(Just noticed it caps at 15 miles so KEGS is further than that)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Not very helpful but our gs have a flourishing ccf. However, according to this link 1/3 of ccf units are in state schools.

Try this:

https://www.gov.uk/the-cadet-forces-and ... adet-force" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

Hockerill on the Herts Essex border (Bishop's Stortford, walking distance form rail station) has CCF. No idea about applications to army/navy though but I think that it is quite active. Army and air (but not naval) wings last time I looked. Only does IB in sixth form. Boarding places too (though pay fees for this about £10,000/year). Daughter has enjoyed DoE (run at least in part by CCF staff) though doesn't do CCF herself.
P's mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now