Advice for Redbridge and Essex preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ongar

Post by ongar »

I, too, am preparing my daughter for the Essex eleven plus. Has anybody found any useful English papers as I am having the same problem finding ones which are compatible with Essex.
Help, please:!:
moved

Post by moved »

The best available commercially are the Bond. These at least have a comprehension section. If you ignore the extra grammar bits and perhaps make up your own match the word section.
For punctuation just take a bit of speech from an English text and remove the punctuation for DC. This is then easy to mark for you.
ongar

Essex Eleven plus English

Post by ongar »

Thank you, moving, for getting back to me so quickly. I have now ordered Bond 11+ papers. Are the assessment paper books equally useful even though the comprehensions are rather short?
moved

Post by moved »

Yes they are and they are good value for money, 10 papers/ 100 questions per paper. I use the upper end - 5th/6th papers. The questions are wordier than the Essex 11+, but they do require a high level of decoding of the text. The second half of the papers is not required for Essex, but gives them good English reinforcement anyway. For each paper find a piece of speech and get your child to punctuate it.
Marks for punctuation are very meagre these days, 6-8 for quite a lot of work. Nonetheless, it is 6-8 easy guaranteed marks, so worth working on.

e.g.

what on earth is it jane said shall we take it home

“What on earth is it?â€
ongar

Post by ongar »

Thanks for the advice. My daughter finds the Bond English books rather laborious and does not enjoy doing them. However, if I just focus on the comprehensions, hopefully this will make it more palatable for her. I agree that the comprehensions are very good and I will order the level 5 and 6 books and just focus on the first section.
Thanks again