Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:12 pm 

Hi all,

My son is in year 6 and since year 3 the teachers have expressed that he would be capable of completing the 11+.
I am now in a state of shock, as one of his teachers has told him the cost to do this is £200.00, surely this cannot be true?????
My son would love to take the 11+, but may not go to grammar school, as he see;s this more as a personal achievement.
I am a single mum and therefore £200.00 i find to be excessive and also very unfair.
Surely,if any chld is capable of taking the 11+, then they should be given that opportunity without money coming into the factor, or maybe i am wrong.
Any advise or information would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Snow white 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:31 pm 

There is no charge to do the 11+ exam for state schools, (some independent schools charge a fee for doing entrance exams).

It sounds to me as though the story has got scrambled. Was the teacher talking about the price some people pay for tutoring?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:02 am 

Snow white 14

There is no fee charged to do 11+ exam in Essex. As Herman suggested, there should be no change to enter the 11+ exam in the state schools.

I would suggest to clarify the £200 cost with the teacher. I have a feeling that it could be the cost for some tutoring or getting the 11+ materials e.g past papers etc for preparing the exams. Having said that, there are some free papers you can download from the website for the 11+ materials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:06 pm 

If you home tutor your son plenty of people on the site will help and give advice. Bond books are good value as they contain many papers and the English and maths are very useful for the 11+. Travel costs can be an issue, as the consortium buses are expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:11 pm 

Snow White that's awful. I hope it's been sorted by now and made absolutely clear that there's no cost. As 'Moving' said there's plenty of help here so if he's keen to do it I'm sure he'll have a good grounding in the types of questions. I've only been here a short time and have learnt a huge amount from people such as Patricia. Kind regards.
Ourmaminhavana