Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DK

My daughter says that this is what they read in the paper

Post by DK »

ITEM REMOVED DUE TO BREACH OF COPYRIGHT

ForumAdmin

Post by Guest »

Um, I don't mean to disturb this thrust into literature, but I hope you all realise that quite a large number of children have yet to take the 11+? There is an overspill test day coming up in the next couple of weeks, and I think it is unfair on those who took the exam 'blind' yesterday to publish details of the English test.

Post by Guest »

Surely they do not sit the same exam as i know my child and the 4 friends that sat the test on saturday will go into school monday and talk about what they had in the test and what it was about, and their friend is sitting it in a couple of weeks due to a mix up at the csse! If they do sit the same test then they have to realise that 10 year olds and their parents wont be able to keep quiet all of the time.
Danger

Papers for second sitting

Post by Danger »

It wont be the same English paper, I know that for sure. It might be the same maths and VR. I think they believe that children wont remember the content of maths and VR but obviously this is different with English

Post by Guest »

No wonder my daughter said english was soooo hard and maths and VR easier - of course they would compared to that!
Karen

Post by Karen »

When my son said the paper was from Tess of the D'Urbevilles I couldn't believe they could be so cruel! No wonder the maths paper was easy - they had to make sure the children regained their confidence somewhere, otherwise there would have been a lot more tears on the day.

The results will make interesting reading...
Meg's mum

11+ test

Post by Meg's mum »

My daughter sat the test at WHSG
When she entered the building, she felt very happy, because the atmosphere was quite relaxed and well organised. The nice young lady that took care of her and who took her to the test had a lovely smile and was very kind.
English paper 1st, this paper was just as everyone said and Megan felt very annoyed and very sad, because this test was much more harder than any other English practice test that she had done before the exam. However she also thought that not many 11 year olds would be able to understand this extract, because the the language was difficult.

Next was the Maths test, which she thought was easy-like many candidates

Last but not least, the VR was ok however there were no mathematical skill questions except a few codes.

Anyway-at least it is over and life can begin again. :D
Crystal

English Paper So Hard This Year

Post by Crystal »

The English Paper the children had to do this year was unbelievably hard.
I have read the text from Tess Of The D'Urbervilles and it is incredibly hard to understand.
Last years paper and the year before were not as hard as this, it seems really unfair.
My daughter is normally very good in English, but she said she really struggled with this paper.
Maths are Vr were a lot easier than the English she said.
How did everyone else get on yesterday with the English?
Meg's mum

11 plus-25.11.06

Post by Meg's mum »

What I'd like to know, is who decided to set the English paper with the text that was used and why-and what was the aim of setting a text like this.
Did the CSSE/decision makers in what text would be used, realise what an impact it would have on the CHILDREN at the time of doing that 1st test, who are incidentally only 10 and 11 years old?
(especially as the English paper was set 1st)
Ok - children have been tutored and trained in a variety of ways in preparation for that exam - and certainly I went over a variety of exam strategies, however I wish I could have forseen what happened, because I would have spent a little more time on the psychology of encouragement and motivation and emphasised it a lot more. I did say beforehand that no matter what happens, the children will be going through the same experience as you, but I imagine that word of advice got lost in her thoughts of , "this paper is very hard".
wondering

Post by wondering »

I makes you wonder why set such a difficult paper, are they seeking children who have an advanced grasp and exposure to English as opposed to or as well as those who are able at maths and VR? If so does this mean that the results will favour those who do have this advanced English skill because if as all posters have said the maths and VR were ok the range of marks will be greater in this paper? What does such a text prove - widely read? Not without adult guidance and dictionary and thesaurus to hand - I bet it would takes months of not very pleasurable reading. I wonder if it's away of limiting the impact of coaching (home or tutor) even so it sems unfair as I bet the mojority of famillies couldn't afford the time to read such complicated text on a regular basis,not with jobs, other children and living life.