Glad it's all over

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Drenched

Glad it's all over

Post by Drenched »

My daughter sat at chelmsford this morning, she went in calm but apprehensive and came out happy and glad it's all over. She said English was sooooo hard but VR and maths were OK. She said that one girl cried throughout the VR and this made her feel a bit sad as no one went to see if she was OK,it does make you wonder if the pressure can just be too much for some children. How was everyone elses experience,other than getting soaked in the pouring rain!
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

My daughter said exactly the same as yours, English was difficult, but maths and VR was ok! And we got soaked too, not the nicest of days to sit an exam, but hey its all over now, yipeeee, just a long old wait till march for the results.

Joanne
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

My daughter said exactly the same as yours, English was difficult, but maths and VR was ok! And we got soaked too, not the nicest of days to sit an exam, but hey its all over now, yipeeee, just a long old wait till march for the results.

Joanne
Karen

Post by Karen »

My son sat it at KEGS this afternoon and he said that English wasn't the best paper but the Maths was easy and the VR ok. He did say that he liked the English paper, and would like to read the whole book! 8)

Personally, I am glad it's all over, but we now have the wait..................

Off out for dinner and a very large glass of wine! :D

Regards
K.
They think its all over

Post by They think its all over »

My daughter sat it at Chelmsford this morning and she said practically the same as the other comments. Maths and VR were what she is used to doing but the English was Very Difficult.

Post by Guest »

My daughter sat the exam at CCHS and said the same. Maths fine, VR ok, English hard! Reckon the text was from Tess of the D'Urbevilles as she says there was a character in it called Tess.
Oh well...just glad it's all over.
relieved

glad it's all over!

Post by relieved »

My daughter also sat the exam today - at Colchester Girls High. She said she felt discouraged by the English paper - that it was very, very hard! She, too, mentioned that it was about a character called Tess, and that there was lots of farm work going on! When we got home, I looked through 'Tess of the d'Ubervilles', and found the passage she was talking about. It really is extremely challenging, and that's to an adult reader, let alone a ten year old child!! I reassured my daughter that everyone else would have struggled too.
Like others, she said the maths and verbal reasoning were ok, maths being the 'easiest'!
We're now hoping to forget all about it, and enjoy having a bit more space.
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Oh dear - our experience was not a good one!

My son took the exam at KEGS this afternoon, he was expected by his teachers to do well (he's top boy in his year in most subjects) and the mock exams he took all went well (98% in the VR that he and the others took under exam conditions at another school).

He came out of the exam took one look at us and burst into tears saying "I don't think I will get in!"

The English was Ok, although he missed a few questions out (BTW it definitely was from Tess of the d'Urbervilles from the characters he described)

The Maths he said was fine, although he may have struggled on a set of questions regarding a conversion formula from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

However the VR he says he completely missed out 12 questions! Despite all the advice we've given him about completing the test etc etc he obviously had a 'mare on the day.

I'm clutching at straws now, if he got 5% less than his mock score on the questions he completed (78 out of 90) then he would still get 80%, however how the stress of not being able to do some questions (which were in the middle of the paper) affected his overall performance I don't know.

Either way we've lowered our expectations and now don't expect him to get into KEGS which is disappointing as it's one of our closest schools (shame they don't operate a catchment system like Southend!) - no idea whether or not he has done well enough to get into SHSB or WHSB (our 2nd and 3rd choices). We'll see in March...

Given my username you may be aware that today's Essex Derby didn't go my way either!

Bad day all round!
11+ pupil from Thurrock

The exam

Post by 11+ pupil from Thurrock »

My Son also said he found the English Paper very very hard and the Vr and Maths were ok. he reckons the Maths paper was the easiest .
sw

KEGS

Post by sw »

My son took the KEGS papers yesterday like most he found English very hard.Missed last one question.

VR was ok ,missed last 4 questions.Maths was the easiest and he managed to complete all questions.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now