How did it go today 2/12/09

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

I have no idea how kids manage to get good marks on the english paper - I know I couldn't!! However, I know some kids do very well on this paper! Know idea how to tutor for the english paper. Any ideas?
Gladitsover

Post by Gladitsover »

My son thought this English paper was the hardest one he's done. He has found previous past papers very challenging but said this one was the worst and he didn't really understand what was going on! He must have found it difficult because he can't even give me any details about the questions asked! I think he's put a mental block on the English paper!
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Gladitsover - my son has had same experience. Can't remember much and always has found english challenging but said this was the hardest one. Did your son do the saturday sitting or yesterday's sitting?? Son said english was virtually impossible
Gladitsover

Post by Gladitsover »

My son did the first sitting, Bleak House (very bleak!). English isn't his strong point but he said it was actually worse than he thought.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Yes exactly the same as my son but he did 'Hard times'. What a couple of dimal texts to choose!!!!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Alexandra wrote:Yes exactly the same as my son but he did 'Hard times'. What a couple of dimal texts to choose!!!!
Oh well, everyone will have found it challenging so try not to worry.The year my eldest went in was the "Tess" paper which was very hard too.There were some lowish marks in English from children who still got in to their first choices.
It will all even out through standardisation. :D
TP123

Post by TP123 »

My DS said English (from 21 Nov) was very hard but he thinks he did well. The problem is is that he has learned that that this the best thing to say to mum to get her off his back. When I ask questions he gets very annoyed so I was not able to get much from him. He did say that as well as true/false there were questions on whether the auther is being sarcasitic or descriptive. That was a new one for us. He also thought that there were only 3 marks for written answers and the rest where true/false type - but i cant see that that would be right?

To make it worse another friend said that her son got the parallelogram area question wrong. When I asked my DS he couldn't even recall such a question!!!! And he said he thought he did very well in maths. So I am very worried - especially with what Chelmsford Mum said about the kids who thought they did well and ended up not. Majorily paranoid! :?
moved

Post by moved »

The 11+ is probably the most intensive three hours that our children will have done in primary school. Many children cannot remember what the papers were about, apart from snippets.

I advise the parents of my pupils to let their child initiate any conversation about the papers after the initial "How was it?" question. Some children (very few in my experience) want to talk it through but most just want to get on with being 10/11.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

TweetyPie wrote: So I am very worried - especially with what Chelmsford Mum said about the kids who thought they did well and ended up not. Majorily paranoid! :?
:oops: :oops: Sorry!
My point was directed at those children who came out saying it was "hard" and that worrying their parents. There is no rhyme or reason to children's reactions.My eldest came out three years ago and said "yeah it was fine.English was a bit difficult but VR and Maths were fine".She got in.
My younger one came out a year ago looking worried and said"that was hard".She got in...just!
She had friends who said "easy peasy" and didn't get in so....it seems we can't read anything into their responses really. :?

At least you have Christmas to take your mind off it. :D
moved

Post by moved »

Alexandra I have already put a list of English papers together; see http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=8088
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now