Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 pm 

Have already posted on the Independent forum , but a few people there have suggested I post on the Essex forum for a bit more feed back ? So here it goes..........

Just wondered if anyone has any info on any essex independent schools ? We are currently at an independent prep in Chelmsford, Year 6, and are applying for senior schools to............ New Hall, Brentwood, Both Colchester Schools , St Johns , SO Anyone out there with any advice from previous years or also applying this year ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:34 pm 

Further to earlier comments. What have your prep suggested? They should have a good knowledge of the choices for your daughter at 11.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:31 pm 

Brentwood and New Hall are both good schools but apparently fairly selective. Brentwood test English, Maths and verbal reasoning (a little easier than 11+ but still fairly tricky.) New hall test VR and non VR but not sure what else.

I know people with children in both schools and they are both very happy with the schools. Both take boys and girls but they teach them separately. Both take boarders but New Hall seem to want their day pupils to behave like boarders. They are expected to stay for after school clubs three evenings a week and I know my friends boys don't get home from school till 6 on those days. Both have amazing facilities/ extra curricular activities etc.

I really wouldn't bother with St John's! If it's the only school your daughter can get into I really would find a good state school and save your money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:36 am 

That seems a bit damning gracienick.What's the problem with St John's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:38 am 

Hi Gracienick!

sounds like you are having problems with St John's - just noticed you gave it a glowing reference earlier this year.
Have things gone wrong for your daughter???,
might be useful to clarify as other people might be concerned by your comments and make it difficult for them to decide if St John's is the right school for their child.

Herman
x