Anyone help?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

remlap

Post by remlap »

Consortium explained to me just before 11+ this year that highest possible mark i.e. 100% equates to a score of 390.

Each paper is out of 130..but as we know VR is worth double(but there again, there are almost double the amount of questions in VR than in the Maths and English).

The "average" mark is not worked out until all papers have been marked....( which reflects the degree of difficulty of the paper)....then each child is given theri score marked against that general average.....and yes, if scores are tied they look at which questions a child got right or wrong as some are worth more marks than others.

So it's not so much about a child scoring the highest percentage possible, (refer to parents trying to compare against previous papers and Sats results) it's just about being better than the rest.

I would comment though on a message I received earlier this year which confirmed that not all within catchment places (southend/Wetscliff Boys grammars) were offered in 2005..therefore this would mean that not enough boys in catchment scored the minimum requirement of 55% (priority pas mark as the Consortium call it), which I found hard to believe, in view of all the hype about how hard it is to get into the Grammars in Southend. I had presumed that there would be far more children scoring over the minimum requirement of 55% than the number of places available....this helped us to keep calm and the pressure we felt about "fighting" for places vanished. We rest assured that providing he did not have an "off" day, he'll score his own average which we know is over 55%..if he still doesn't get in, then it's not meant to be.

Happy Christmas to everyone..enjoy (or at least try to!)
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Thanks Remlap - my biggest worry is my son DID have an "off day"!

Just to back up your point about the Southend grammar schools, I asked both heads this question directly at the open evenings.

SHSB reserves 25 places for out of catchment boys and last year took 45

WHSB reserves 39 places for out of catchment boys and last year took 60.
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Just a quick question Remplap - I am assuming from your comments that you are within the Borough of Southend. Does their prospectus say the number of applicants SHSB and WHSB received last year (in and out of catchment)? We live in Essex and only have this info for schools within the LEA.

Anyone Help?

Post by Guest »

Karen wrote:
Shrimpergarry wrote:Can't understand that Karen, but there we go!

It would be really helpful if the consortium were to publish the minimum score required over the last few years to get into each of the schools and what this roughly equated to as a raw score in each test.

Has anyone ever asked for this information or have a good contact at a school or within the consortium?
Shall I have a go? Don't have any contacts but don't mind asking questions!
The Consortium don't have recent information because they haven't offered the places for the last couple of years and so don't know the score of the last person offered to. Telephone the school you're interested in and ask them if they can give you an indication of the lowest score offered to last year. That might help. The other thing to bear in mind is that the average score changes every year so the raw/standardised scores won't be the same each year and therefore you won't be able to make a comparison.

Re: Anyone Help?

Post by Guest »

Christina wrote:My daughter got the following scores and got into Chelmsford County High
last year

English 34/50
Maths 34/50
Verbal 86/90

Her standardised score was 358.36

I believe that even if 2 people have the same scores they could be weighted differently according to the questions that they got right. So if one child got the harder questions right but got the same mark they would have a higher standardised score. So therefore it is more important what standardised score they get.

Please try not to worry as after Christmas it seems to come around soon enough and you even begin to forget until the end of February.

Hope this helps

Good Luck to All.

Christina
I am told that individual questions are not standardised separately. If two (or more) children score exactly the same on the papers they would get the same standardised score. If they had the same choice of school(s), they would be ranked equally, with the next person in line being ranked two places below. For example Child A score 340 ranked first, child B score 335 and child C score 335 both ranked second, child D score 330 ranked 4th. (Because 3 children have scored higher).
remlap

Post by remlap »

Dera Shrimpergary

Yes, we are within the Southend catchment/borough/lLEA (out of catchment pass mark is approx 65%).

In the prospectus figures as follows (for 2006)

Southend Boys :- Total number of preferences = 686
Places offered within priority area =112 (125 available)
places offered outside priority area = 38 ( officially only 25 available)
(18 appeals lodges, 17 heard and nil successful!!!)

For what it's worth, I have read most of your other postings and you seem to be one of the most committed, caring parents around. That alone cannot have failed to rub off on your son, so if he did have an "off" day, just think how well he has probably still done...I know it's hard but I think we all care sooo much that we tend to lose sight of what our children can actually do.

As for weighting individulal questions (guest) how else could they decide if scores are tied?
remlap

Post by remlap »

sorry, forgot to mention..

the consortium do know what score they offered down to, as the priority pass mark of 55% equates to 302.5..they won't offer a place below that.

as previously mentioned...that's why they offered more out of catchment (whose min score is 65%)

That way it ensure they getr the right calibre of pupil whether from within or outside catchment.

The easiest way or working out what general score a child should get is still equating to the old 75% and above rule of thumb. If your child has historically consistently been scoring above that, "in theory" you should not be worried....as I say that's a theory only, but when the emotions take over it's helpful to remember the logic!
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Thanks for your kind words and your explanation remlap
remlap wrote: As for weighting individulal questions (guest) how else could they decide if scores are tied?
According to the SHSB prospectus:

http://www.shsb.org.uk/prospective_- ... ochure.pdf

Page 5 of the supplement states that, in the event of pupils achieving the same mark, the following factors are taken into consideration: first if the child is "in care", second if they have a sibling at the school, third straight line distance from home to school.

Seems to clarify that there is no weighting of individual questions, just an overall weighting.
remlap

Post by remlap »

Shrimper Gary,

I know you are an old Southend Boy and that's where you hope your son goes to is that right?

we hope our son gets to SBHS too, so thought you may be interested to know only 124 boys sat the exam at Westcliff this year (Southend was circa 380!)

This makes it harder for our boys as more competition and easier for those choosing Westcliff.

Word on the street is that it is as a direct influence of The Head's "interpersonal skills" i.e. lack of them and the way he makes parents feel he's doing them a favour by hvaing their son in his school.

We did think about playing that lottery re preferences but at the end of the day we really wanted Southend.

However, we did put Westcliff second so it will be interesting to see what happens if loads of kids choosing Southend first do well, but not enough places at Southend left...never heard of anyone getting thier second preference Grammar have you?

Post by Guest »

Andrew Baker is an interesting fellow, isn't he? I once went to an interview there and he was terribly rude. Nevertheless, it is an excellent school.
never heard of anyone getting thier second preference Grammar have you?
I'm sure many put KEGS first and Westcliff second and get into Westcliff. Not sure it happens with Southend/Westcliff.

On appeals, the schools have really got their acts together with the lawyers, and it makes it very difficult to persuade the panel that the dog dying the night before the 11+ means that their child should shoot up fifty places.

I hear of appeals against parents' own mistakes (we didn't understand the form and put Boswells ahead of KEGS) which are ludicrous as well as pointless.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now