KEGS or Chelmsford CCHS question/answers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Thanks!!
GibsonES335

Re: got a ton of stuff throught the post yesterday (kegs)

Post by GibsonES335 »

essex-mum18 wrote:
chelmsford dad wrote:how do you know how much stuff to order and do you need one of everything , for example do you have to buy a rugby shirt , is rugby optional or compulsory , my boy would definitely rather cricket or football but i guess thats grammar schools !
Edit. KB, good point forget about the gum shield. Kegs does not offer hockey. Indeed they do different games at different term in Kegs as well.
I have a son in Yr 9 who is a county hockey player. They have just started to introduce hockey. Mr Green, head of PE, has 2 sons who are/were county players too.

Not sure what year they do it and they don't have an astro pitch so have to use the Girl's School one I think.
KB

Post by KB »

Its not like primary school where they need parents to sign forms for activities in school so the boys need to listen/look out for notices & just sign up or go along to the first one.
We do get a list of whats on each lunch time/after school but that sometimes arrives after the activities have started!
I think the year 7 activities tend to be a couple of weeks into term though to give them a chance to settle in - sure some one at KEGS will know if its the same there.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Good point KB. I guess I am still thinking he is my little baby who needs my guidance and gentle "pushing". Should learn to let go - certainly looking forward to not having to check up on homework etc. (do let me know if that doesn't magically stop in yr 7).
KB

Post by KB »

Sorry - you still need to check up on homework :(

He will get a homework diary & you have to sign it each week (at our school it is then checked by form teacher)

I check each night what homework DC have & they tell me how they plan to use their time.

In year 7 I checked each piece of work - with varying levels of scrutiny!

As they get the hang of it all I leave it to them to ask if they need help/anything checked.

If there is a subject where DC is having any problems then I pay more attention.

I would say its worth keeping a pretty close check at first because they need help with study skills, time management etc.
Sometimes you can explain things they haven't 'got' in class - although if it becomes a regular issue I would then contact the teacher.

I also have a list in the kitchen of kit etc required each day & they have to put everything out ready the night before.

With a DS a would say you'll probably still be doing gentle 'pushing' and guidance until he goes to University. Thankfully my Ds still called me in the first year away from home for more of the same. Now its only if he wants something or to relay news of success!
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Thanks KB!
:shock: Wow. I think DS was looking forward to mum getting off his back as much as I was looking forward to chilling out with him. Deep down I knew that wouldn't be the case and am secretly glad.

But that has made me determined to chill out now until Yr 7 begins. He deserves it more than me.
KB

Post by KB »

Maybe you'll get lucky & your DS will take to it like a duck to water & soon be independent.
Mine aren't really as bad as I make out :)
essex-mum18

Re: got a ton of stuff throught the post yesterday (kegs)

Post by essex-mum18 »

GibsonES335 wrote:
essex-mum18 wrote:
chelmsford dad wrote:how do you know how much stuff to order and do you need one of everything , for example do you have to buy a rugby shirt , is rugby optional or compulsory , my boy would definitely rather cricket or football but i guess thats grammar schools !
Edit. KB, good point forget about the gum shield. Kegs does not offer hockey. Indeed they do different games at different term in Kegs as well.
I have a son in Yr 9 who is a county hockey player. They have just started to introduce hockey. Mr Green, head of PE, has 2 sons who are/were county players too.

Not sure what year they do it and they don't have an astro pitch so have to use the Girl's School one I think.
Thanks for clarifying and I did not realize kegs offers hockey as well. My son is in yr8 , may be he will do it next year.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

KEGS induction day: please let me know what we can expect on the day. Some of the other posts for WestCliff/Southend are suggesting that there will be CAT tests on induction day. Is this the case for KEGS too? Or will it be a "meet and greet and get to know the school/class/children/teacher day".

Thanks!

p.s. how critical do you think it is to send the boys to the Easter sports week. Would like DS to go - but tied up this Easter.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Not sure how critical it is for son to go to Easter sports, but not sending my son as he does not want to go. As for induction day - no idea. I presumed a meet and greet. What are the tests you wrote about? Starting to panic now!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now