Waiting List

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amazing

Post by Amazing »

Sorry typo error, my DD's ranking is 214 not 224. This is so nerve racking , it's past 12 am and i can't sleep with worry over waiting list ! may i also add that we are out of southend prority area as we leave in hornchurch.

Thank you
GibsonES335

Post by GibsonES335 »

Amazing. There is no pass or fail, it is simply whether or not you are high enough up the list.

Southend Borough works differently in that there is a guarantee of a place at Westcliff or Southend if your child achieves a minimum score. This year I think it is 303. After that, the lists are opened up to those children who attend Primary School outside of Southend Borough and allocations are made on your score. The only way you will know where you are on the waiting list is to call Essex on Monday and ask.

As has been previously noted, The Southend and Westcliff list can move a fair amount. This is because many people who live in mid Essex may put these schools as their 2nd, 3rd, 4th choices (as back up) so if, for example a place is eventually offered at Chelmsford, Colchester, or they choose elsewhere, or decide it's too far to travel, if this place is allocated to someone on your list, then everyone moves up one. And so it goes on.

Bear in mind that some indie Primary Schools always encourage parents to list the Grammar Schools on their choices, even if they are planning to attend an indie in year 7, in order to boost their results.

When you combine all of the factors, the lists can move significantly. Of course there is no way of knowing whether your child will get in.

I hope this makes some sense. We are all in the dark.

Be prepared for a long wait as the whole process can take weeks and months to finally be sorted out.

Wish you the best and try to get some sleep.
Amazing

Post by Amazing »

Many Thanks GibsonES335 for your time, i will call Essex on Monday as adviced.
Southendmum

Waiting List

Post by Southendmum »

Hi Gibson ES335

My first post so be patient with me! Am new to this whole process so am still trying to understand how it works but was just interested in your post to Amazing about her dds score of 291.635. Our confirmation email from CSSE states:

[quote]For Southend/Westcliff Grammar Schools there are two offer lists, one for children attending a primary school within the 'Southend Priority Area' and one for children attending primary school outside the 'Southend Priority Area'. There is a minimum 'passmark' for places awarded within the 'Southend Priority Area' of 303.00, below which your child will not appear on a school's offer list. However, a score above the passmark is not, in itself, a guarantee of a grammar school place.[/quote]

Sorry for my confusion but would this not mean that you have to score 303.00 to even be in with a chance, providing you are in borough, but even if you do your place is still not guaranteed, as I believe you posted it was? It is rather confusing so clarification on this point would be welcome.
happydaddy

Post by happydaddy »

Can I give you some hope.

I know of three girls that were accepted to Westcliff but will not be taking their places as they are going independent.

FINGERS CROSSED

I hope this brings a small smile and a glimmer of hope.

Good luck.
Southendmum

Waiting List

Post by Southendmum »

happydaddy

I second that, I also know of a girl who was accepted at Westcliff but is going independent so thats at least 4 places that will become available!
GibsonES335

Re: Waiting List

Post by GibsonES335 »

Southendmum wrote:Hi Gibson ES335

My first post so be patient with me! Am new to this whole process so am still trying to understand how it works but was just interested in your post to Amazing about her dds score of 291.635. Our confirmation email from CSSE states:
For Southend/Westcliff Grammar Schools there are two offer lists, one for children attending a primary school within the 'Southend Priority Area' and one for children attending primary school outside the 'Southend Priority Area'. There is a minimum 'passmark' for places awarded within the 'Southend Priority Area' of 303.00, below which your child will not appear on a school's offer list. However, a score above the passmark is not, in itself, a guarantee of a grammar school place.
Sorry for my confusion but would this not mean that you have to score 303.00 to even be in with a chance, providing you are in borough, but even if you do your place is still not guaranteed, as I believe you posted it was? It is rather confusing so clarification on this point would be welcome.
Hi Southendmum. What you say is correct. But the 303 min applies to the "in Borough list" only. In theory at least this would not exclude someone "out of borough" with a score below 303 being allocated a place. Although this does seem rather unfair.

Like I said, the best way is to ring next week and ask specific questions. I do hope I haven't added to any confusion. Apologies if I have.
Southendmum

Waiting List

Post by Southendmum »

Gibson ES335

Thanks for clarifying that. So do you know if there is a different minimum mark for out of Borough then?
GibsonES335

Re: Waiting List

Post by GibsonES335 »

Southendmum wrote:Gibson ES335

Thanks for clarifying that. So do you know if there is a different minimum mark for out of Borough then?
My understanding is that there is no "out of borough" minimum mark. That list is strictly on ranking, hence my comment that it would be theoritically poosible for someone with a score below 303 to be offered a place.

I could be way off here so I'd advise all to call Southend Borough. My experience with them about 5 years ago (1st timer on a waiting list) was that they are extremely helpful and very clear about how the system works.
panichead

Post by panichead »

Hi, not sure if this helps or I am way of mark but I live in the southend borough and my daughter thankfully passed but her friend (who lives in the same road as us) did not pass because her score was below 303.

Not sure how it all works but she did not get offered a place. I know they are appealing because her score was something like 302.899 and when I have any more info will post.