At what age should you start tutoring for 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Talea

At what age should you start tutoring for 11+?

Post by Talea »

I have friends with children at private schools (my daughter is at a state primary school) who tell me that my child has no chance of getting into a grammar school if I don't start tutoring her now. She is in year 2. In fact, apparently it's already too late. My daughter is quite bright, she's in the top 5 in her class so I think that she has the ability to do the 11+, I just feel she's a bit young for us to worry about it now. I was intending to start having her tutored in year 4.

Advise and opinions would be very welcome.

Thanks
KM

Post by KM »

In my experience you certainly don't need to start tutoring in Y2. My dd is at CCHS and went to a state primary. We started tutoring after Christmas in Y4 and I feel that we did too much. She was very keen to be tutored and loved working but even with her positive attitude I felt it was too long to be tutoring. My ds is currently in Y4 and would like to go to KEGS but we have decided not to start any tuition for him until one year before the exam. Anymore and I think he would be put off.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Talea - think year 2 is a bit soon. DS2 is year 3 and whilst we do lots of fun things that "expand" his learning eg games, cards, reading even the odd work book / puzzle book there is nothing 11+ about it. I am sure you do the same with your DD already.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I agree year 2 is far too young. Play lots of wordy games,red together , do jigsaws and make sure that tables are learned well.

You will be laying the building blocks for a good education and still allowing her to be a child. Year 5 is plenty early enough
moved

Post by moved »

Formal tutoring should begin in Dec/Jan of year 5 and then at a leisurely rate building up to significantly more work in the run up to the exam. I have taken one child in y4, but he had some issues with English.

Many children use the Bond books before this age as a little bit of support for classroom work. I used them with mine when we lived in France to maintain an English style of working. Younger children often enjoy a Smiths workbook or similar so if you would like to do something with your daughter this is what I would recommend.
chelmsford dad

to say its too late in year 2 is absolute nonsense

Post by chelmsford dad »

in my opinion , i think private schools view the whole 11+ subject differently , but my boy is in a state school , just got into kegs , we started him off very lightly in year 5 and only really got serious with him about 2 months before the exam.
now this wont necessarily work for everyone and will depend on the ability of the child not just academically but mentally aswell but if a child is 6 or 7 to be putting pressure like this on them is crazy
Milla

Post by Milla »

sorry, necessary issue of swear word coming up: B*****ks!!! and, further warning, this is one to bring the baby out on, methinks.

Really, the year 2 child is just a tiny thing still. Let your daughter be young and play - you know that mad, old-fashioned thing kids used to do. Make sure that she keeps up, that she reads or is read to and play the odd game of scrabble or mastermind or pontoon (adding up). And change your friends! Private school does not equal cleverer by the way so don't assume that they're all on a fast track to Oxford and that this attainment is set in stone by the time they are 7.

I'm not in Essex, but in Glos we only have grammars which are selective on the basis of mark. No siblings, catchment or anything. So, it's tough round here, too.

Year 5 is quite soon enough!!
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

[quote="Milla"]sorry, necessary issue of swear word coming up: B*****ks!!!
quote]

Please Milla :shock:
Not in front of the baby!
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Milla wrote:sorry, necessary issue of swear word coming up: B*****ks!!! and, further warning, this is one to bring the baby out on, methinks.

Really, the year 2 child is just a tiny thing still. Let your daughter be young and play - you know that mad, old-fashioned thing kids used to do. Make sure that she keeps up, that she reads or is read to and play the odd game of scrabble or mastermind or pontoon (adding up). And change your friends! Private school does not equal cleverer by the way so don't assume that they're all on a fast track to Oxford and that this attainment is set in stone by the time they are 7.

I'm not in Essex, but in Glos we only have grammars which are selective on the basis of mark. No siblings, catchment or anything. So, it's tough round here, too.

Year 5 is quite soon enough!!
Well said Milla!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

If you are at state school I would say that you do need to do 'work' at home but agree tutoring in Year 2 is madness.
General 'fun' reinforcement of key skills & taking her forward at a pace she is happy with and in an enjoyable way as described above is much more sensible.
She might enjoy some of the VR questions for younger children as 'puzzles' once in KS2 and if that means they are less 'scary' by the time she needs to start the hard work in year 5 then great, but thats not the same as tutoring!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now