Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Post by moved »

Couldn't agree more
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Not sure how they get away with that one in this day and age!!!
haystack

Post by haystack »

nuttymummy wrote:If it helps, we have never been able to pay the vountary contributions for the same reasons but we've not been named or shamed yet!! :)
Thanks for all your replies, 'nuttymummy' it's nice to know that I am not the only one in the same boat and that the boat doesn't have a flashing neon sign above it saying 'skint!' :oops:
GibsonES335

Post by GibsonES335 »

WHSB have a subject report card system for those who have issues on particular subjects. This allows teachers, pupils and parents to keep up to date with whatever issue needs to be dealt with.

On the subject of contributions to the School Fund, I've never heard of any form of name and shame and nor has my son.
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

We have a letter from CCHS (Colchester) asking for a donation of £30.00 a month!!!!!
brainiac

Post by brainiac »

As I have heard with a lot of grammar schools, parents are asked to make contributions. Last year when my daughter started at Colchester though, we were not asked for a sum like that. Was there a space on the form for you to enter a sum?
moved

Post by moved »

I think "school fund" is quite common in all state schools, not just grammar schools. Plenty of primary schools request a donation. But it is only a donation and not an obligation.
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

brainiac wrote:As I have heard with a lot of grammar schools, parents are asked to make contributions. Last year when my daughter started at Colchester though, we were not asked for a sum like that. Was there a space on the form for you to enter a sum?
The letter we have says that any financial support, however small, would be gratefully received....a donation of £30.00 a month-the equivalent of just £1.00 a day-would make a significant difference.....a bargain compared to the costs of private education.

The amount is optional on the enclosed form though. We shall make a donation but not that much.
whsggirl

Re: Do they name and shame at WHSG?

Post by whsggirl »

I'm in year 9 at Westcliff High for Girls and when I first started my mum was asked to make several payments, an initial one of around £50, then any more voluntary payments. She just ignored them all as we thought they were ridiculous amounts of money to be paying! I've never been pulled up on it and as far as I know none of my other friends' mums pay either.
Another worried Mum

Re: Do they name and shame at WHSG?

Post by Another worried Mum »

whsggirl wrote:I'm in year 9 at Westcliff High for Girls and when I first started my mum was asked to make several payments, an initial one of around £50, then any more voluntary payments. She just ignored them all as we thought they were ridiculous amounts of money to be paying! I've never been pulled up on it and as far as I know none of my other friends' mums pay either.

As a mum of a DD also in Y9 (not whsggirl), I was asked to pay £15 in March (with the school initial information pack) for a locker charge - for the whole school life, not just one year. We were also given a calulator, memory stick and lanyard, English dictionary and French dictionary at the school induction days in July. It was explained that these were paid for from the General Purposes fund and hence were were invited to donate to the fund. New lockers have recently been installed and we have subsequently paid a further £6 for a padlock for these - again this is a one-off charge rather than an annual one.

The letter inviting contributions was given out at parents' information day and just skimmed over as part of a whole presentation of information. There was certainly no pressure to fill in the form! The sum of £12 per month was suggested - and since then I have not received any further request whatsoever to increase that amount. It is also clear that you can make one off donations if you feel so inclined!

Our DD is not aware that we contribute, nor the amount. It has never been discussed with her, nor with any of her friends - personally I don't think that she need to know, nor do I want to be entered into any sort of 'we give more/less than you' competition!

I am aware that this is a personal decision and the choice to donate or not is an individual one and will depend on many circumstances. For any school, having access to additional funding from whatever source adds to the facilities it provides and the environment in which our DC spend most of their waking days - which for us contributed to our choice of school.

However, as a very active member of the PTA at primary school, I am now quite happy to donate a fixed amount on a monthly basis - then choose not to get involved in other fundraising. Sending money from my account certainly beats standing at the school gates selling raffle tickets, freezing my socks off at the early morning car boot sales on a cold winter morning or trawling round the local shops trying to get donations from them!! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now