Any Luck anyone with Southend Admissions today ????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
maymum

Any Luck anyone with Southend Admissions today ????

Post by maymum »

Has anyone had any luck with positions on waiting lists from Southend Admissions today.....when I rang this morning they said they would not be giving out any more waitng list information until after the end of next week!!!! I am very concerned as they seemed to be very forthcoming with information last week............feeling very down about this situation and feel I have the right to know where my S is on the waiting list. :( :( :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mm can you try phoning again and see if you get someone else??
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

That might be worth a try. :D
waitingmum

Post by waitingmum »

I called Southend this morning as my son is also on the waiting list and they confirmed that it has moved 5 places. I hope this helps.
maymum

Post by maymum »

waitingmum wrote:I called Southend this morning as my son is also on the waiting list and they confirmed that it has moved 5 places. I hope this helps.
waitingmum, Thanks for that, that is brilliant. I believe they will br "re-running" their computer on 22nd/23rd March. So fingers crossed we hear good news. Are you 'out of catchment'?? :D :D
waitingmum

Post by waitingmum »

Hi, Yes I am out of catchment. The waiting list for WBHS doesn't seem to be moving that much.
maymum

Post by maymum »

waitingmum wrote:Hi, Yes I am out of catchment. The waiting list for WBHS doesn't seem to be moving that much.
Hi waitingmum, I also rang Essex regarding Colchester Boys and KEGS and they had only moved 1 space!!!! (my son is on those waitings lists too, although he is WAY down on their lists) so at the moment Southend Borough seems to have more movement, hopefully that will continue and it is still very early days yet.......but Iam pinning my hopes on Westcliff :D
GibsonES335

Post by GibsonES335 »

maymum wrote:
waitingmum wrote:Hi, Yes I am out of catchment. The waiting list for WBHS doesn't seem to be moving that much.
Hi waitingmum, I also rang Essex regarding Colchester Boys and KEGS and they had only moved 1 space!!!! (my son is on those waitings lists too, although he is WAY down on their lists) so at the moment Southend Borough seems to have more movement, hopefully that will continue and it is still very early days yet.......but Iam pinning my hopes on Westcliff :D
As you rightly say, it's early days. This is my 3rd time round at being toyed with by waiting lists, in the last 5 years. DD is now 5 for Colchester, which, incidentally, has also only moved 1 place so far.

This is a bit like getting on one of those rides you really don't want to try. Strap in, stay calm and make sure you have finished your sandwiches and your Coke lid is screwed on tight!
maymum

Post by maymum »

GibsonES335 wrote:
maymum wrote:
As you rightly say, it's early days. This is my 3rd time round at being toyed with by waiting lists, in the last 5 years. DD is now 5 for Colchester, which, incidentally, has also only moved 1 place so far.

This is a bit like getting on one of those rides you really don't want to try. Strap in, stay calm and make sure you have finished your sandwiches and your Coke lid is screwed on tight!
waitingmum, WOW your third time round, you must have nerves of STEEL :) what are you experiences of movement in those five years, did the lists move a lot early or did you have the long drawn out agonising waiting ?? 5 for Colchester is brilliant !!! we put down Colchester Boys but are a bit way off of 5!!! our only hope now is Westcliff Boys at which we are number 11......Yep it certainly feels like one of those rides.......but hopefully it will finish very quickly :lol: we only have one child, thankfully we dont have to go through this again :lol:
GibsonES335

Post by GibsonES335 »

Hi Maymum. It's Gibson ES335 not waitingmum. In fact I'm a dad!

It's hard to know what my previous experiences will add. The ranking system has changed so that now, you are ranked if you chose a school anywhere on your list. As we know that means that the raw rankings don't really tell you much if you are a ranking greater than the intake.

No 1 (Yr11 WHSB) was a late out of borough application so not really relevant to these discussions. Southend Borough are a seperate LEA and have different entry criteria. My experience with them from 5 years ago was that they were very helpful - a lady called Janet who is still there I believe. I had no clue about the system really at that stage.

No 2 (Yr9 KEGS). He was ranked 178 and went on the waiting list. It was only when a schoolteacher suggested I check the waiting list that I did so. I thought he had no chance but in that year 70 odd boys either went to another GS or an Independent I suppose. We got the offer I think around June I think.

Traditionally, I would say the Westcliff, Southend and Chelmsford lists will move more than the Colchester lists. I think the biggest factor here is probably simply geography.

But the most important point I think I can make here is that each year is different. The GSs are more popular as, on the margins, fewer people can stretch themselves to send DD or DS to the independents. Despite the deadlines set by Essex na Southend, the independents can do what they like with respect to offers.

You must have a good shout being 11 for Westcliff. It's only March and there is plenty of time.

No3 - offered WHSG which we are delighted with but sweating on the waiting list for Colchester CHSG.

No 4 - he's only 5 but is doing great a school. I'm itching to get him on the Bond books but maybe I'll leave it to September. (Joke!) He just wants to go where his big brothers go but we haven't broken the news to him yet that they will both be left by the time he gets to Yr7.

Sorry going on a bit now but I do hope that this will give some comfort to someone out there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now