Past scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

brainache

Past scores

Post by brainache »

I am currently doing some research (purely for own interest) on scores from previous years. Currently I am looking at girls' scores.

I am looking for information re Essex scores for English, Maths and VR where students were admitted to either Chelmsford County high School for Colchester County High School for the 11+ exams taken in January 2002 (English paper was "Mill on the Floss"). (It used to be January).

If anyone can provide scores (no names, obviously) and say which school I would be very grateful.

Many thanks and, by the way, many congratulations to all those to participated in the 11+ this time round, whether you got the school you wanted or not, it is hard going for all so pats on the back all round.
moved

Post by moved »

This is the thread for this year. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=13702

If you scroll back through the Essex section of the site you will find others.

Mid 70s average is a good borderline level for Chelmsford.
brainache

past scores

Post by brainache »

Many thanks for your reply. I have had a look and the threads don't go back all the way to 2002 and I'm not sure whether I got the English text right. I said it was "the Mill on the Floss" but it might have been "Far from the Madding Crowd". I can't remember.

I was only thinking about it because I have been researching 11 plus exams and their effects and I came upon this forum a couple of months back. I have been reading curiously since then.

My son took the 11+ in 2002 and got what I would consider to be very high scores. Nevertheless, he was a **** of a long way from getting into KEGS and I am wondering if the exams have got harder. Looking at the letter with his scores on now, it seems to me that there must have been a very large number of very, very high scores that year.
Chelmsford mum

Re: past scores

Post by Chelmsford mum »

brainache wrote:Many thanks for your reply. I have had a look and the threads don't go back all the way to 2002 and I'm not sure whether I got the English text right. I said it was "the Mill on the Floss" but it might have been "Far from the Madding Crowd". I can't remember.

I was only thinking about it because I have been researching 11 plus exams and their effects and I came upon this forum a couple of months back. I have been reading curiously since then.

My son took the 11+ in 2002 and got what I would consider to be very high scores. Nevertheless, he was a **** of a long way from getting into KEGS and I am wondering if the exams have got harder. Looking at the letter with his scores on now, it seems to me that there must have been a very large number of very, very high scores that year.

I think they have got harder. I suspect the VR has definitely got harder too.I think that the schools have realised that children are doing up to two years of tuition and have had to respond.Ten years ago You couldn't get 11+ tution in Sainsburys for example. :roll:
It is a very rare child who hasn't had months of tuition and takes the exam now but going back a decade there were a lot more who just took the exam without prep.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Yes, I think the exams have become more exacting. The past papers which I have had sight of bear this out. Of course, we never get to see the actual VR papers - just a practice paper, but it seems the real thing is more difficult than the available sample paper. DS always finished practice papers with nearly 100% correct and with loads of time to spare. In the real exam he didn't finish and had to guess the last page and a half.

This takes nothing away from the DC who sat the exam in the past - it's still the top hundred or so scorers who are selected for the schools. Perhaps the increased difficulty makes it easier to distinguish between the candidates.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now