PRACTICE PAPERS FROM THE CSSE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PRACTICE PAPERS FROM THE CSSE

Post by Guest »

Can any tell me where I can download pratice papers from the CSSE.I would like to see a copy because I was told they are quite hard and are nearest to the actual exam.

Re: PRACTICE PAPERS FROM THE CSSE

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Can any tell me where I can download pratice papers from the CSSE.I would like to see a copy because I was told they are quite hard and are nearest to the actual exam.

Don't think you can download them - you have to contact them and they will post them to you (for a fee). Yes, they use past papers for the English and Maths but not for the VR as they don't set that, NFER do so it is just a VR paper that is similar in format to the one they do on the day. The papers are very hard and I would suggest you only let you child try them once they have been practicing and getting good scores on other papers - otherwise their confidence could be knocked if they find them too hard and don't achieve very good marks. Good luck.
Karen

Post by Karen »

You can't download them. There is an order form to download, which you fill in and send with your cheque for the appropriate amount. Previous poster was right about them being hard, they are actual past papers. Try not to be alarmed by the 2007 entry English paper when it is finally made public! I had a couple of past years worth and kept these papers until nearer the exam time and gave one as a "try it and see" and then did another as a practice exam, in the same format as used on the actual day. Details of the exam timing and the order in which the papers are sat will also be in the website.

Good luck.
K
Mum 2007

Post by Mum 2007 »

Hi
Can anyone tell me besides ordering papers from CSSE and try the papers what other options are their for my daughter to practice for the exams for Chelmsford. Do i need to get certain books? is it Key stage 2 for maths they should be working at?

Please help!!

Post by Guest »

Mum 2007 wrote:Hi
Can anyone tell me besides ordering papers from CSSE and try the papers what other options are their for my daughter to practice for the exams for Chelmsford. Do i need to get certain books? is it Key stage 2 for maths they should be working at?

Please help!!
We used the CSSE papers (near to the time she took it as they are hard!) and Nfer Nelson which I found to be very good. My daughter got into Chelmsford last year. I would definitely recommend buying the past papers from CSSE (although as stated above I would give them to her nearer the exam). They will show you the standard expected, although it does seem to vary from year to year.
Mum2007

Post by Mum2007 »

Thanks Guest for your reply!!

I will order the papers from CSSE, however you said to give them to her nearer the exam. She is currently already working on VR Multiple choice and finds it interesting. However, do i only do the papers? no other revision needed? if so what books would you recommend?.

Is the scoring high for this school? and i take it its standars papers for Maths and English (comprehension). Also is it true that the English paper has difficult words. The Corsutum said the exam is based on 19th Century, is this true.

What is best for revision?

Please advice if you can/

Thanks again.

Post by Guest »

Mum2007 wrote:Thanks Guest for your reply!!

I will order the papers from CSSE, however you said to give them to her nearer the exam. She is currently already working on VR Multiple choice and finds it interesting. However, do i only do the papers? no other revision needed? if so what books would you recommend?.

Is the scoring high for this school? and i take it its standars papers for Maths and English (comprehension). Also is it true that the English paper has difficult words. The Corsutum said the exam is based on 19th Century, is this true.

What is best for revision?

Please advice if you can/

Thanks again.

The reason I would recommend giving her the CSSE papers nearer the exam is because they are very difficult and I feel they could knock the childs confidence if they don't do as well on them as they do on other papers you have given them. I would stick to doing papers regularly - some can seem repetitive but it is the practicing regularly that helps them with recognising VR codes etc and also with the timing which is very important - they must finish the VR paper on the day - it is worth 50% of the marks.

Yes, the school is hard to get into. When my daughter did the 11+ (she is now Year 7 there), you had to score over 85% on the VR. Not sure of percentages for the maths and english but you had to score well. Along with Colchester, it is one of the hardest to get into. The maths and english are of a higher level than they do in school (from my experience) although I think the maths was not too bad last November. The english papers are generally exceptionally difficult - sometimes A level standard! My daughter had Mill on the Floss and last November it was Tess of the D'urbavilles so that gives you some idea! The language in the english paper is difficult. Get the Nfer Nelson papers and maybe encourage your daughter to read some of the classics (if she likes reading - my daughter was not an avid reader unfortunately!). Good luck to you and your daughter. CCHS is a great school - my daughter loves it.
Mum2007

Post by Mum2007 »

Hi Guest

I was shocked at your reply bit about A Level standard.
What is Mill on the Floss and Tess of the D'urbavilles some kind of story.

Do i need to Get the Nfer Nelson papers in English Comprehension.My daughter loves reading books, what is some of the classics would you give me info on this please. Do i need to get books from the Library or from WHSmiths??

Thanks for your kind words but i'm not sure if she will be able to cope if its that much of a difficult paper.I'm feeling nervous. Do you recommend us trying it?

Did you feel the same, whether your child wiould cope or not?

Thanks again

Post by Guest »

Mum2007 wrote:Hi Guest

I was shocked at your reply bit about A Level standard.
What is Mill on the Floss and Tess of the D'urbavilles some kind of story.

Do i need to Get the Nfer Nelson papers in English Comprehension.My daughter loves reading books, what is some of the classics would you give me info on this please. Do i need to get books from the Library or from WHSmiths??

Thanks for your kind words but i'm not sure if she will be able to cope if its that much of a difficult paper.I'm feeling nervous. Do you recommend us trying it?

Did you feel the same, whether your child wiould cope or not?

Thanks again

Most people have the same reaction about the english paper level and there is plenty of debate on this site about it. It is only one of the papers so, yes, I would definitely let her try. Just get some books from the library. The librarian will be able to give you a list of classics - there are books like Jane Eyre. Also, do practice the Nfer Nelson English papers and any others like Bond papers. Don't let the english put you off.

I didn't think my daughter would get offered CCHS but she did so you must be positive. My daughter is coping very well there and not finding it overwhelming at all.
Mum 2007

Post by Mum 2007 »

Thanks Guest for encouraging me. I will go to the library and get the english NFER papers in Standard and order from CCSE but do at a later stage.

Thanks again really appricate your help.