Is it too late for tutoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Popeye

Is it too late for tutoring

Post by Popeye »

Have thought about having daughter tutored for 11 plus this year with Chelmsford girls grammar school as first choice. Are places very difficult to gain? Daughter tried last years papers - she got 36% for maths, 58% for english and 66% for Verbal Reasoning. Are these scores any where near what may be needed for Chelmsford girls? If she was tutored do you think she may be able to improve enough to get in? Have I left it too late for tutoring?
Thank you
First-timer

Re: Is it too late for tutoring

Post by First-timer »

Hi Popeye!

No, it's not too late for this year's 11+ exams. The scores your daughter has been getting are not yet good enough and yes, places are hard to get just by virtue of the demand for them. That said, I think your DD's scores are a very good starting point and it is particularly helpful that VR seems to be her strong suit as this is worth double the weight of each of the other papers. Please bear in mind that scores in the real exam tend to be a bit lower than in practice papers. I would also add that the required scores vary year on year. She probably needs to be getting about another 15% in each paper to have a chance (and a bit more than that to be confident). I think you definitely have enough time to make that sort of improvement.

You are considering Chelmsford County High for Girls which, if past years are anything to go by, will attract the highest scorers. If Colchester or the Southend schools are practical alternatives for you, it's worth knowing that entry to these can be gained with a lower score.

Are you considering professional or diy tutoring? Either would help but I'm not sure how easy it is to get a professional tutor at this stage. I'm sure someone will come along soon who can give you a better idea...
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

Popeye wrote:Have thought about having daughter tutored for 11 plus this year with Chelmsford girls grammar school as first choice. Are places very difficult to gain? Daughter tried last years papers - she got 36% for maths, 58% for english and 66% for Verbal Reasoning. Are these scores any where near what may be needed for Chelmsford girls? If she was tutored do you think she may be able to improve enough to get in? Have I left it too late for tutoring?
Thank you
I dont think its ever too late really, if your daughter is willing and able to put in some work from now until November then you have only to gain really, the experience alone will put her ahead and could get her into the top sets at an Indie school if she doesnt quite make it into GS. Start her off gently at first a couple of times a week on some 11+ books (Hannay/WH Smith) and get her to read some of the books listed by Moved on the main Essex page (at the top), you may find it difficult getting a tutor at this stage but it may still be worth a try. I know from experience last year when we tried in February, everyone was booked. Im preparing for my next DD for 2011 already. If you have any questions eveyone is most helpful on here, they certainly kept me sane over the last year!!! Good luck to you both.
moved

Post by moved »

Scores of 70-80% are minimum required for CCHS, but you have plenty of time. Work on exposure to papers. Tutors and then Bright Sparks for VR, Bond Assessment for English and maths.

Many of my pupils have started late, but then worked really hard and gained places.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now