Maths Papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tea Lover

Maths Papers

Post by Tea Lover »

Hi

Can anyone recommend maths papers that have similar questions to the real exam? My DD is taking the 11+ in Nov and could do with more practice, particularly with the harder type of questions. Are the Bond fifth papers good preparation?

Thanks
moved

Re: Maths Papers

Post by moved »

If you are really short of stuff at this stage then Bond 5th and more 5th. Manchester Grammar, Oundle, Dulwich College papers are also good as they are tough.

Primary maths challenge are good too. You can download a paper. The first 15 questions from the Junior Maths Challenge (aimed at yr 8 children).

Are you looking for confidence building or stretching? Lancaster Girls Grammar has some nice sample papers that are not too hard and could help with confidence

If your DD is struggling I would recommend taking her old papers and changing the numbers/words on the question types she finds hard. Do the types that she finds hard repeatedly trying to make the questions fun/relevant to her.

I write clones of the papers for my pupils so that they can have another go at a paper once we have worked on any problem areas. This is always good for their confidence as they get lovely high scores.
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

Hi Moved

Thanks so much for that. I've checked out the Manchester papers and they look exactly what I'm after. I want something to challenge her, to make her think a bit more deeply about a problem, as it seems to be the harder questions at the end of the papers that trip her up (although she still makes some very silly mistakes on easier questions). I'll check out your other suggestions soon, too.

You've been a great help. Many thanks! :D
moved

Post by moved »

For the harder end then definitely the Junior maths challenge. 2010 paper can be downloaded and older papers come with answers that you can remove. They really challenge thinking and I have seen questions from old challenges on the maths papers - 2008 and others.
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

Hi Moved

That's really helpful, thanks. I've printed off 2010 Junior Maths Challenge and will get my hands on some past papers.

Thanks again! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now