Bond Books Level 5

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hamburg86

Bond Books Level 5

Post by Hamburg86 »

We are in the final stages of preparing for 11+ and have a tutor who is using the Bond books. We are currently still on level "more fourth" papers and I am trying to intensify preparations at home to get to "fifth" papers. Our tutor has discouraged me from going too quick as it would only overload my child who appears to be doing quite well so far. He will be doing some mock tests as preparation as well.

Is there a big difference between level "more four" and "five" and as the tests will be in November how much time is normal for preparation per week now i.e. we are doing about 1/2 - 3/4 hours per day at the moment.

Many thanks
moved

Re: Bond Books Level 5

Post by moved »

Are you in Southend or Essex? Is your child getting over 80% on the Bond papers? Bond are more straightforward than the real thing so I generally get my pupils to work through Bond at this stage if they need more reinforcement or confidence building.

More 4th are quite tough and not too different from 5th. If you are going for Chelmsford/Colchester Grammars then I would suggest that a few problem solving questions would also be a useful addition.
Hamburg86

Post by Hamburg86 »

Thank you.

We are preparing for Chelmsford / Colchester. He has almost worked through the "more fourth" level so hopefully we'll get some time to do some on 5th level as well. He has been working through the Bond books with his tutor (once a week) and at home (approx. 1/2 hour per day at the moment). He is doing well with his Maths and VR but we are not timing him at the moment. He finds English the hardest (from what I hear this is a typical boy thing) but reads a lot - it seems to depend on what type of text is in the paper.

My instinct would be to really intensify preparations now as there is not that much time left before the test so I was wondering how other parents / tutors prepare in the last few weeks. He has mock tests lined up and we have some additional papers we can do at home but don't want to go over the top :) .
moved

Post by moved »

My pupils do three papers per week (either my papers or old CSSE papers), whether they are Southend or Chelmsford. If they are doing reinforcement work I give them Bond, 4th/5th in Southend, 5th/more 5th in Chelmsford (maths only as repetition of the basics helps). I use up to Bond 5th/more 5th for English but only if a child really wants to do a lot of work.

I never use Bond for VR as it is too different from the exam and I only use multiple choice.

My Chelmsford children are working through the Walsh papers for VR as these are really tough. I also give the top end pupils Junior Maths Challenge questions for problem solving.

Some of my children, those who started late, are doing double the number of papers each week - poor things!

Hope this helps.

I give one hour of tuition per week and then run a workshop every other Saturday, which is a group session. This covers problem areas and I get them to play with English passages and their thesauruses!
Hamburg86

Post by Hamburg86 »

Thanks so much - will try some of these.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now