St Mary's School Colchester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

St Mary's School Colchester

Post by Minesatea »

Has anyone had any experience of their DD sitting the entrance exam for St Mary's School Colchester?

I understand the papers are English, Maths and Verbal Reasoning, but would like to know if they are multiple choice or standard format. Also do you know if they are a known brand of paper (eg NEFR) or written by the school?

(I realise I am asking about an indi but as its a small school I felt the essex forum was more likely to be helpful than the indi section)
nutkin

Re: St Mary's School Colchester

Post by nutkin »

Hi, my daughter sat the St Mary's entrance exam last year. In addition they have a non-verbal reasoning paper (shapes and series etc), which we hadn't looked at all until the night before (praise be to the internet!). She found it a bit easier than the 11+ and enjoyed doing it, especially as they have a break during the morning and they are offered cakes which the students have made for them on the previous day! My daughter actually passed the 11+ so we didn't go down the St Mary's route after all. Three girls from her primary school have chosen to go there, however, and are really enjoying it (my daughter still sees them as they catch the same bus).
Minesatea

Re: St Mary's School Colchester

Post by Minesatea »

Thankyou nutkin.

Interesting about the NVR, the head didn't mention it in her speech. Fortunately I have just bought some NVR papers as we are intending DD to sit PM's technology aptitude paper, so I will start her looking at them.

The school seemed lovely when we visited. DD very keen on languages so impressed a school so small would offer 5.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now