11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
colchestermum

Re: Advice needed on what to concentrate on in the last week

Post by colchestermum »

Ok now I'm worried again!!
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Using this method, my DS would have scored 186. He was admitted to CRGS on allocation day. My understanding is that the last boy in was about 60 places below my son in the ranked list. Just shows you how few marks there are between getting in reasonably comfortably and missing out altogether. Make sure your DC leave nothing unanswered and that they check their work. Every mark counts!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Colchestermum, First-timer has given good advice about trying to leave nothing unanswered and to check your work. The way I look at it is, if you don't answer a question you definitely won't receive a mark. However, if you at least write something down, you are in with a chance! It really is 'every mark counts' because there probably isn't much in it between the child who is offered the first place and the child who takes the last place.

Try not to worry too much about cut-off points; each year is different . Your DS can only do his best on the day.
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

Yes, bear in mind that the scoring system proposed by "moved" is slightly different to the actual scoring system. VR is out of 80 and worth half the marks and then maths is out of 45 and worth 25% of the marks and english out of 50 and worth 25% of the marks. The subjects therefore carry a slightly weight than "moved's" guide which was just an indication of what your DC should aim for rather than an absolute guide.

My DS got a very high VR mark so this could make his score disproportionately high.

The thing that is clear is that this is a competition. The other thing is that the 11plus is an indicator not a guarantee of ability. Our DS is coming well up his form in tests and one of his friends who got in on the waiting list is coming about the middle. I guess the ability range of DSs getting in is so so so small that the 11plus is just a competition with attendant element of chance and therefore luck involved.

The really sad thing is that there must be lots of similarly able young people who just miss out on this wonderful opportunity because chance did not favour them on the day.
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

I agree with you Dutchy - I think this system is incredibly unfair and you'd have thought that with all the levels and grading and SATs they do at school these days that they would be able to find a fairer way that doesn't put so much pressure on our DC!
Having said that this is the system so we have to work with it.
The last thing I want to do is put too much pressure on my DS. His best friend is also taking and he sees a tutor and his mum tells me he is getting incredibly stressed out about it - that he feels be HAS to get into CRGS and that if he doesn't he'll be devestated. I know that my DS will be disappointed (as will I) if he doesn't get in but if that happens I know he'll be ok after a few days and will look on the bright side (gets to stay with friends from primary and will b within walking distance of school).

I am trying not to worry too much but I don't want to let him down, I want to give him the best possible chance! God its so hard being a parent!! DS is my eldest i've got to DD's so I'm potentially going to have to go through this again twice! I'm going gray at the thought! lol
moved

Post by moved »

Sending you all my best wishes. My points system is purely what I use for my pupils and only then as a rough guide.

If you want to feel better one of the pupils two years ago scored far below my borderline mark and had never really performed at the necessary standard, always just scraping through. Her marks on the day were significantly above anything she had ever achieved before. So there is not always a 10% drop.
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

I think I need to take my own advice! Been telling DS not to stress and that I am proud of him whatever and if he doesn't get in it's not the end of the world as long as he has done his best!
I think as it's got nearer and nearer I've lost sight of that!
What will be will be........

Thanks everyone for your advice and support ***
sohappymum

Post by sohappymum »

Hi Colchester mum

Definitely focus on VR as most marks also maybe week before let your son have a break from it as the day is very intense my son came out very tearful due to nerves expection etc however he did very well but missed out by 1.7 of a mark to get an automatic place to CRGS .We did get good news eventually he gained a place on 20 September despite a very long wait it was worth it!

Best of luck to you and your son I know that on the day I couldnt eat thorough worry and thats not like me! Hope he gets straight in not like us even though we had a happy ending. Thinking of you on the 20th make sure you go somewhere nice after for dinner!

Sohappymum
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

Thanks sohappymum - and well done your DS!
DS had already told me that his hard work deserves a meal from on a well known chicken restaurant after the event!
It's his birthday tomorrow and he has a friend sleeping over today so they are both having a 11+ free weekend!! (they are being Lego Indiana jones' as we speak!)
His favourite is VR and it's between VR and maths for his best subject - English is his worst but I found some great books called repair kits fun books that help with vocabulary punctuation etc which are improving his marks.
So we have 7 days left of practice then a week free of study and then D-day!!
I am trying not to stress!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now