Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:22 pm 

Handed my DD her letters from CSSE and High School when she got in from school and she read them through very slowly and carefully - pointed out rather pointedly that the Secretary can't really wish 'every success' to every candidate because there aren't enough places to go round and then demanded, in some concern, "What is the pen for?"

"... the candidate will require pen, pencil, eraser and a ruler."

At her primary school almost all work is written in pencil and it is in pencil that she writes her homework and does her practice papers. What part of the paper has to be completed in ink?

It seems like a silly thing to worry about but it's just the sort of thing that can throw a child off their stride. Also suspect DD would like a good excuse to go shopping for a fancy pen like her independently educated cousin has been using for years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:49 pm 

My DS sat his 11+ last year and said that he used a pencil for the verbal reasoning. I should imagine that a pen is needed for the english paper (asked DS but he can't remember!) Good luck to you and your DD.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:04 pm 

A pencil is fine, some of mine use a pen for the English and to fill out the front sheet, but if she is more comfy with a pencil then she should use a pencil. I would recommend several pencils and a couple of really good rubbers.