Time for reading in English?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jacksmum

Time for reading in English?

Post by jacksmum »

Hi,
This may have been answered before but cannot see it on here.
Do the children get some time to read the English extract before the time starts for answering questions.
This is the only paper my son struggles with for time so I am hoping they get 5 - 10 minutes to read the passage 1st.
First-timer

Re: Time for reading in English?

Post by First-timer »

I'm pretty sure that reading has to be done within the time given for the exam itself.
KB

Post by KB »

Yes - afraid the reading is included in the total time.
Its probably not a good idea to introduce any new ideas at this stage but my DS struggles with time & in the end we told him to literally skim read (taking couple mins max) & then just read a small section carefully as required for each question.
moved

Post by moved »

No extra time for reading. I agree with KB, a quick skim. Suggest that he starts with the punctuation and grabs those easy marks, then looks at the word section as he needs to read the passage for that anyway. After that he can work through the comprehension questions rereading where necessary.
jacksmum

Post by jacksmum »

Thank you for that.

Moved - I have actually spoke to him about doing what you said, as he always picks up full marks in punctation and he is much better now at finding the appropriate words that have the closest meaning. I have told him it does not take long to write true or false against a few qustions at the end when he has just one minute to go , and he had a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer.
moved

Post by moved »

Give him a hug and wish him luck. As long as he does very well in the VR and the maths he should be fine anyway.