English Paper Nov 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest12

Re: English Paper Nov 2010

Post by Guest12 »

Just to add, I thought it was the hardest paper I've seen. My guess is that this will be represented in the scores this year.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Guest12, don't despair. I suspect you're right about the scores. There will be low English scores and high Maths ones. They all sat the same exam and it will still be the top 100 or so for each school who get through.

The English paper is usually based on a text that you might expect to be more suited to a GCSE student, so there's nothing new there. I blanched when I saw last year's English paper and I know that the infamous Tess paper was similarly received. I think that when it was known that the text was Captain Corelli's Mandolin (instead of a stodgy old text) there was anticipation that the English paper would be easier than in previous years and that hasn't been the case. Some of the left of field components of the paper will have suited some children and not others. Irony is a tricky concept but the questions about alliteration, onomatopoeia and nouns were reasonable for ten year olds. They played around with the punctuation question too. Overall, I think the main issue with the paper is that it didn't follow the expected formula. First Aid in English will probably see a rise in sales following this paper!

Just over two weeks to go now...good luck!
no.5

Post by no.5 »

Hi

I am new here and was wondering if some lovely parent could help me. I couldn't face buying the papers as my poor DC didn't complete the maths paper as he had a bit of a wobble/panic on the day. He missed the whole last page and the last 2 questions on the previous page. I was hoping that someone who did buy the papers would be kind enough to tell me how many marks this means he's missed out on. We have been trying to guess since November and I don't want to buy the papers as I don't want to go through every question with him (i'm sure you all know what I mean...it will be obsessive!)

So is there anyone that can pleeeeaaase put me out of my misery, I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks
Guest12

Post by Guest12 »

I agree that 10/11 year olds could/should understand concepts of nouns and I'm sure many would know the difference between an abstract noun and a proper noun. However, how many would understand the words impudence, callousness to categorize as an abstract noun Or that the words Cephallonia and Armageddon were proper nouns. I thought the vocabulary was an unrealistic expectation of children of that age to actually know. I know it is meant to cream off the top, but I don't think it does, it creams off those children who come from backgrounds where that type of vocabulary is more widely used, rather than children who have a gifted ability. I agree maths was too easy this year and strong mathematicians were not given the opportunity to shine.
Guest12

Post by Guest12 »

Hi no.5. The last page on maths had two marks on it the previous page had question 18 which had a, b and c, so each was worth 1 mark each. So last two pages gives a total if 5 marks
no.5

Post by no.5 »

Thanks so much Guest12.....I am so grateful for you putting us out of our misery. We had been feeling that he may have lost out on 10 marks before he even started! He decided to answer each question twice with all the workings shown twice too!!! So he ran out of time.

I'm glad I didn't buy the paper...as you say the English sounds awful. I can't wait for the 1st of March to be here and this agony to be over. LOL!
moved

Post by moved »

Welcome to the forum no. 5. Hold on for a the last few days of anguish. Hopefully, it is not long until you get the news that you have been waiting for.
Guest12

Post by Guest12 »

Good luck to your son and your agony of waiting. After my daughters superb muck up of the English paper, we no longer need to wait for 1st March!! If you're gonna muck up it up it might as well be in style!!! Bless her!!
no.5

Post by no.5 »

Thank you moved...I sure hope so. Either way at least the wait will be over and we can move on.
no.5

Post by no.5 »

Guest12, hopefully lots of people will be in the same boat and your DD will have done really well in the Maths and VR.

Fingers crossed that you get a lovely surprise on 1st March and your DD does get a place.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now